Help! Blower motor needs replacing - Need help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawben

Aug 21, 2007
Hello,

We have an Osburn woodstove model #405805. Purchased used about 10 years ago. We purchased a blower and it's worked very well up until the end of last year. I'm having troubles finding a replacement and from the company who purchased Osburn. their website lists the closet dealer over 70 miles from me.

Does anyone know where I can just purchase a motor for the existing blower? The blower says Osburn and also serial number 23057 with Warnock Hersey on it.

Or

How about a new blower? (Which every is the least expensive.)

Thank you,
Rawben

Osburn did not make the blower motor so you have to dig deeper and get some other id numbers to match up the motor Grainger would be my first stop

Rawben said:
Hello,

We have an Osburn woodstove model #405805. Purchased used about 10 years ago. We purchased a blower and it's worked very well up until the end of last year. I'm having troubles finding a replacement and from the company who purchased Osburn. their website lists the closet dealer over 70 miles from me.

Does anyone know where I can just purchase a motor for the existing blower? The blower says Osburn and also serial number 23057 with Warnock Hersey on it.

Or

How about a new blower? (Which every is the least expensive.)

Thank you,
Rawben

look on the data tag for teh blower, specifically , look for 2 sets of 4 digit numbers, as for the blower , is it squirrel cage? what diameter, what CFM? it may be a common blower that can be matched fairly easily. maybe even take a couple pictures and post them

LOCATION...........
That helps too
As far as motor and blower replacements if grainger doesn't have it A.O. Smith pretty much has cornered the market on HVAC and stove motors

GVA said:
LOCATION...........
That helps too
As far as motor and blower replacements if grainger doesn't have it A.O. Smith pretty much has cornered the market on HVAC and stove motors

I'm with you. If you have a Graingers or AOSmith dealer close, pull the blower and take it in, their service desk will help you with the replacement motor. A second option is a local motor shop. Those boys are Golden. They have resources no one else has. For example my tablesaw had an I/R motor. They could replace it for $400. They could do a rebuild for $200 or they could rewind and rebuild for $550. The replacement was a new motor with about 3/4 the torque, the rebuild was brushes and small parts. What I got was a motor that has run for over 600 hours that is available at $1,200. No stove company makes their motors. They are off the shelf stock, but may have some fancy mounting brackets. Go outside the box and let the techs take over.

Yes, it's a squirrel cage, 2 speed motor, high and low. My DH took it apart and no additional numbers are on in he inside. I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it.

Here's all that's listed on the outside of the blower:

Warnock Hersey

Listed Accessory blower for use with Osburn Heaters

Ser. No. 23057

Electrical Rating: 115V, 60 hz, 1 amps
240V, 50 hz, 0.5 amps

Osburn Manufacturing, Inc.
Victoria, BC HL33/Fs8

Osburn Gas and Wood
Manfacturing

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

There is a company in Nebraska named Burdens Surplus that has an array of blowers and motors. Their inventory changes from time to time but, they have helped with motors and any number of odd-ball items I have needed in he past. They have been in business for a long time and the items I have purchased from them have been A-1.
Mike

Do you know what's wrong with the motor. Is it noisy? Does it not run at all? Is it brushless? If it has brushes and they are worn out, which is likely, most motors have fairly easy access to the brushes. You just take or bend a little cover back and catch the spring as it tries to launch across the room. The brush then slides out and you unhook the wire on it. You can get brushes cheaply. I had a power window motor from a old car that needed brushes and I went to a starter/alternator shop and they gave me a couple of brushes. A little time on the grinding wheel and I had a perfect set. Windings usually don't go bad. It's either brushes and it won't run or bearings and it's noisy. Sometimes it's the armature and that requires puting it on a lathe and hitting it with some emery cloth.

Rawbin, where are you located? I'd remove the blower out and take it to the local electric motor repair shop. They should be able to fix you up.

However, if it's not working at all, the problem could be with the on/off/speed switch and not the motor. The repair shop can determine this for you. If it runs well on their bench then it's most likely the switch. In that case, have them oil it for you and then replace the switch.

We're in California. My DH took it to a DC (they don't do AC) and stated the cost would be more than what we paid for it originally. My DH blew all the dust, etc. out with a blower. He then ran it and it sounded fine. The problem it had before was, it would be slow to start going and then take off making a little noise. Then work fine. Really strange. We don't want to leave it running at all if we have to leave the house, just in case. My DH said there are now brushes on it.

Thank your all your help. I'll given Burden's Surplus a call in the next couple weeks.

Rawben :)

Blowing the dust out will help greatly, as will cleaning any bearings you can get at, and possibly putting a drop of light oil on them. If the motor uses brushes, it is also a good idea to replace them if they are showing significant wear. Brushes and bearings are really the only major failure points for an electric motor in that sort of application.

Gooserider

Goose has it right, you may be lucky and have caught the problem early enough to remedy with oiling the bearings. A thorough cleaning of the blower blades or squirrel cage fan will also help.

Can you post a closeup picture of the motor assembly? There may be a reasonably priced replacement motor. Having a picture will help ID it. Also, there often is a specification tag on the motor that lists the motor manufacturer (maybe something like Fasco or Emerson?) and if we're lucky it will also say the speed (like 1500 rpm), voltage, amperage, etc. If you find the specification tag, write down all the information on it and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.