Help Building my Wood Shed.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Well I have decided to go ahead this coming spring & build my woodshed. Have it laid out on paper but need some advice as to the roof pitch. The shed will be a simple one of 6' wide by 16' long. Anything under 100 sq ft I don't need a permit. Will hold about 10-12 face cords. The roof will be a one sided slant only from the back of the shed (6' high) to the front (7' high). My question is, "What angle should I pitch it at?" I was thinking about a 22 degree slant from back to front. Does this sound good to those who have done this? Thanks as always.

Well I have decided to go ahead this coming spring & build my woodshed. Have it laid out on paper but need some advice as to the roof pitch. The shed will be a simple one of 6' wide by 16' long. Anything under 100 sq ft I don't need a permit. Will hold about 10-12 face cords. The roof will be a one sided slant only from the back of the shed (6' high) to the front (7' high). My question is, "What angle should I pitch it at?" I was thinking about a 22 degree slant from back to front. Does this sound good to those who have done this? Thanks as always.
What kind of roofing?

I would go with metal and give it an inch drop. My opinion!

I built a lean to off the back of my garage 12 x 21, and I gave it 2 in over the 12' with a metal roof. It sheds water and snow just fine.

Reactions: jatoxico
3/8"x4'x8' particle board if that helps. Plan on shingling it as well.

It does help, asphalt shingles have a minimum pitch. Depending on where you look I have seen as little as 2/12 but I don't think that is really recommended. It's only a wood shed but still I think you want to be more like 4/12 which means at 6' wide you need a 2' drop from front to back. I built my over hang with corrugated plastic roofing from HD. The roof rafters are 2x6" and then used 1x3" every 12" to support the roofing. In all the whole roof (minus the rafters) probably weighs 25 lbs if that and allowed for a shallow pitch (I think I ended up pitching about 8-10" over 6'.

It was inexpensive, installs quickly and sheds water and ice nicely. Asphalt is heavy, requires plywood sheathing and paper. Will take alot longer to install.

Mike Golden suggested metal roof which would also be good but I couldn't find a local dealer for the small quantity I needed.

I missed the asphalt shingles post!

Status
Not open for further replies.