Help! Burning too much fuel!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rockinshockqtrs

Jan 12, 2022
Indiana
Just replaced my old wood boiler (with which I've had no problems)with a used maxim 250. Unit in great shape, clean. When first hooked up was getting a lot of smoke in hopper, added 3rd chimney and it was resolved but I am going through anywhere between 320-400 lbs of pellets in a 24 hr period😳 the dealer near me gave me a new controller to try, but still burning through fuel like crazy.
Any suggestions? Need help quick, can't afford this by any means.

Just curious if you know how many pounds of wood your were burning in a day with the wood boiler.

In really cold weather I would go through a Ric in a week. Cold as in below 20s
But I think we finally got it figured out last night. The low voltage side of the fan wasn't working so it was like a blow torch nonstop, you couldn't adjust the airflow up or down. I had told them I thought it was blowing to hard from the start, but it took one of them coming out to see themselves. As of this morning looks to only have burned through half to 3/4 bag so far. Feeling a huge relief.

So you were burning through a bag of pellets every 2 hours? If your fire was burning that hot and fast i would be checking it for more serious damage

Just replaced my old wood boiler (with which I've had no problems)with a used maxim 250. Unit in great shape, clean. When first hooked up was getting a lot of smoke in hopper, added 3rd chimney and it was resolved but I am going through anywhere between 320-400 lbs of pellets in a 24 hr period😳 the dealer near me gave me a new controller to try, but still burning through fuel like crazy.
Any suggestions? Need help quick, can't afford this by any means.
I'm glad you figured it out. You were burning through some serious $$$$. At $5 for a 40lb bag you were burning around $50 a day in pellets. :eek: