Help buying a second hand propane stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
I'm looking to purchase a used propane stove for a small cabin that we're fixing up and was seeking advice on what to look for. These units seem pretty basic, but I'd like to ensure I don't get snookered and end up buying a faulty stove.

A lot of the ones I see on Craigslist seem like they're been disconnected so there's no way to test them out.

Any thoughts or guidance would be much appreciated.

Well, what is the square footage are you trying to heat & how well is it insulated?
Those factors will determine what BTU numbers you'll need...
You're looking for a propane burner, so just take a tank, regulator & some fittings
with you when you go look at a unit, hook it up & fire it.
If it's been removed from the original install location, chances are there
will be one or more sections of vent available for your test.
If it's a B-vent, you won't even need to install a cap. DV will need a
cap or you won't get the necessary separation from the intake & exhaust...
I would lean toward the DV myself, less chance of CO issues...
HTH

Went out and picked up a Jotul Allagash direct vent stove over the weekend. Stove is in pristine condition. It was still hooked up when I went to look at it, so I could see it in action. Guy threw in a some of the duct work. All I need is the horizontal termination kit, which goes for about $230 or so. Should work out nice for us.

Nice. You'll be happy with the GF300. At 26K BTU (input),
it was BY FAR the most popular gas stove sold by Best Fire.
I bet I installed 3 of them for every other model I installed
during my 5 years on the crews...
It can sit on a hardwood floor without the need for a hearthpad...
For a top vent install, you'll have to go a minimum of 2
feet vertical before you can run horizontal to the cap.
Good luck. You got a nice unit....

DAKSY said:
Nice. You'll be happy with the GF300. At 26K BTU (input),
it was BY FAR the most popular gas stove sold by Best Fire.
I bet I installed 3 of them for every other model I installed
during my 5 years on the crews...
It can sit on a hardwood floor without the need for a hearthpad...
For a top vent install, you'll have to go a minimum of 2
feet vertical before you can run horizontal to the cap.
Good luck. You got a nice unit....

Thanks Bob. A couple of follow-up questions for you, if you don't mind:

The manual that came with the stove [from 2001] indicates that minimum vertical rise from the floor to the center of the horizontal pipe has to be 43 3/4". But a revised manual that came out two years later said the minimum vertical has to be 55 3/4 [see page 7 here: http://www.jotul.com/FileArchive/Files/USA/Oldproducts/Oldgasproducts/GF3_DVII.pdf ].

Any idea why that changed? Which should I go with? Is it more efficient to have a longer vertical run or a shorter vertical run, or does is not matter?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Stegman,
I'm at work & the "powers that be" dictate that I can't open the manual.
Off the top of my head, I don't recall the height of the Allagash flue collar,
but a rule of thumb we ALWAYS used when determining the vertical venting,
was a MINIMUM of 24" UP from the collar to a 90 then out...
More than 24" won't get you into too much trouble as long as you're 3" below
the ceiling & meet the outside clearance from the soffit area to the top of the vent cap.
I don't remember EXACTLY why Jotul changed the vent requirements back then but it
may have to do with the change from the "tube" burner to the "pan" burner.
I think that change happened thereabouts...
If I'm in error about that, Franks or Wood Heat Stoves will chime in...
HTH

The guy I bought it from had it vented into an external [masonry] chimney and said that they were somewhat underwhelmed with its heat output. His horizontal was roughly 43" from the floor [or about 22 inches from the top of the stove]. I'm wondering if that may be because his vertical run was too short. Not real familiar with how the performance of a LP stove can be affected by drafting etc.

I guess the question is, do I follow the minimum vertical of 43 3/4 from the floor or should I make it a tad longer to 55 3/4 or more? Sounds like 24 up from the top of the stove might be the sweet spot.

Well, I never installed one with less than a 24 vertical vent before turning to horizontal,
& I've NEVER had heat output issues with one either. We always try to size the unit to
the space requiring heat - NOT the space available. The previous owner may have had
it installed in a big cold room where it just didn't have the oomph to provide enough heat.
There are MAXIMUM vertical runs specified in the manual & there are restrictor plate
settings that may have been ignored at install. Generally speaking, though, the Allagash
has a heat exchanger & tall vents shouldn't reduce the heat output. I'm thinking that it
may have just been too small for the situation.

Thanks Bob. I think I may take the vertical run up a bit higher than the minimum, to the 55-inch range or so. That's just about two feet off the top of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.