1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help! Cannot stop chimney from smoking, and we are not talking out the top.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by joshuaviktor, Nov 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    I have finally set up my Pine Baron Coal Baron stove. Since I am testing with wood, I have laid firebrick down to cover the grates, to make an enclosed firebox. I have a pipe coming out of the top exhaust, about 2 feet long, it 90's, goes into the old ash dump of the fireplace above, 90's again, and heads straight out the chimney about 45 feet intotal.

I was a bit (a lot) nervous about draft, but it is no problem. I light a sheet of crumpled newspaper, lay it sort of on the baffle plate, so the flames from it go up the spout, and it takes 5 seconds and it pulls like a bear.

But when I get it going with some light and then heavy kindling, I start getting smoke out of the "appliance collar", right where the stove meets the chimney.

I also get smoke out of the sides of the stove?!?!?!?!?!

Very light, mind you, but it was not happy making sight.

Now the appliance collar at least made sense, but the sides of the stove?

The stove does have a panel on each side with three tiles in it. I figured maybe where the screws go into the sides of the stove, ok?

I used some astm 136 rated caulk on the areas, waited a day, then lit it up. Still smoky.

I cleaned off the caulk, bought some refractory cement, used it, 1 thin layer, 1 thick layer. Waited a day, lit it up. The cement around the refractory collar puffed up like marshmallows in the microwave, and the smoke still came out from all three areas.

Did I do something wrong with the cement?

Any ideas?

Joshua

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. jldunn

jldunn New Member

Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Are you sure it's really smoke?

Sounds like it could just be the paint curing if it's a new stove.
  3. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Yeah that sealent smokes a bit until it cures up.
  4. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    It is an old stove, not new, but are you saying the refractory cement smokes a bit till it cures up?

IF yes, thank goodness. If no, darn, but please tell me for safety sake.

Joshua
  5. babalu87

babalu87 New Member

Loc:
    middleborough, ma.
    Yes the cement and caulk will smoke a bit.
  6. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson New Member

Loc:
    Orient Point, NY
    Let it smoke for a while and see what burns off... if it continues, break out some furnace cement on the collar, perhaps that will help draft.

-- Mike
  7. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Sorry... not to hijack the thread, but I have to try this at home.... Will pick up some marshmallows, and a six pack when I get out of work.

I'll let you know the results tomorrow.

If you hear a loud explosion in Westen Mass... it might be me, but don't worry... those marshmallow missles shouldn't hurt if they hit you.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Just don't get this guy ticked off Harley. He has a nasty temper.

Attached Files:

9. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Uh, oh That could be pretty nasty. Well its all for the sake of science
  10. KP Matt

KP Matt New Member

Given that you have two 90 degree turns I wouldn't rule out draft being the culprit. The way you described establishing the draft with the newspaper - it sounds like you're spoonfeeding it right up the flue. Of course it will seem like it's drafting well if you do that.

You should be able to smell the difference between smoke from wood and smoke from cement or stove polish.

Also, is it possible that blocking the grates is also blocking an air intake?
  11. DriftWood

DriftWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bluewater Area, Great Lakes
    Now that's FUNNY!! Thanks for the good laugh!!!
  12. joshuaviktor

joshuaviktor New Member

Loc:
    Northwest New Jersey
    Kp, legit questions. I do spoonfeed the draft to get it started, but you can see that once it gets started it sucks the smoke right up from inside the stove.

As for smelling the difference, I try to keep my face out of smoke. I once burned some wood someone gave me that turned out to be of the poison oak variety. Was not a happy time. The smoke on the outside of the box is DEFINITELY not from the air intakes. The pine baron stove has 4 intake screws, 2 on ash door, 2 on loading door. I have blocked off the ash door intakes with the brick, yes. BUT 2 intakes should be enough.

The draft is good, but Mike, question. Is furnace cement different that refractory? Probably dumb question, but...

I am going to try scraping off the cement from off the collar, and mixing the bucket of cement VERY well, then reapplying. thin coat, then wait for cure, then thick coat.

Any other ideas?

JOshua

And thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.