Help choosing a saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbarf48

Minister of Fire
Dec 21, 2012
Stone Mountain GA
Well today Im selling my Poulan 5020. Ill be using the money for another saw>>

Ive got a brand new Stihl 170 so I need a larger 50-60cc saw. Ive been scouring CL for a while now and have come up with these options:

A husky 55 in ok shape cosmetically with a brand new B&C for 150 firm

OR

A Poulan 4000 with a freshly sharpened chain for 90. This saw is a pretty far drive so about $30 more in gas puts it at 120

I realize the Poulan has the edge in displacement and can pull a 24" bar which is enticing. Both have 20" bars on them right now. What say you guys?

The Poulan is a good old workhorse with lots of torque to pull that 24" b/c.However its close to 30 yrs old now & finding replacement parts wont be as easy as for a newer model.Would be a fun project though,I wouldnt mind having a Poulan S6000 someday (6 cubic inch,100cc made in Germany from '78-'81 or so.Basically a lime green Dolmar 153S.)::-)

Personally of the 2,I'd go with the Husky 55,plenty of power & much easier finding any spare parts.

But I'm done buying anymore saws for a year or so at least,unless a sudden large windfall drops in my lap....;)

That's exactly the issue I'm thinking about. I'd be all over the poulan if I thought I could find parts easily. I'm thinking im leaning towards to 55

I wouldn't mind having both haha

The 4000 is enticing because its cheaper and more powerful, I just dont want my only parts source to be forums on the web as thats a big gamble

That's true.Ebay is OK cause at least you can get refund from reputable Seller if any problems arise.They're not the only game in town though.

Well today Im selling my Poulan 5020. Ill be using the money for another saw>>

Ive got a brand new Stihl 170 so I need a larger 50-60cc saw. Ive been scouring CL for a while now and have come up with these options:

A husky 55 in ok shape cosmetically with a brand new B&C for 150 firm

OR

A Poulan 4000 with a freshly sharpened chain for 90. This saw is a pretty far drive so about $30 more in gas puts it at 120

I realize the Poulan has the edge in displacement and can pull a 24" bar which is enticing. Both have 20" bars on them right now. What say you guys?

I would pass on all of those

Reactions: Thistle
Take the Husky, or get 'em both.;)

Hey Thistle, time to get rid of some equipment, it doesn't all fit in the sig anymore.;lol

*GASP* !!! o_O;lol

What size stuff are you cutting?
Price range you're looking at?

455 is an OK saw, but not 60cc.

Do you have time to keep looking?
Patients :)

MS362 is my dream saw now ;)

Well the saw today sold for $140 so I'd say about that haha. I may hold out and see what else comes along

If the 55 is in good shape that is a 150 is a good price. Around here people want 250 for a 55.

I'm going to start answering all "help me choose a saw" threads with:

MS 880 STIHL Magnum ::-)

It is an object of beauty.

Reactions: smokinj
I'm going to start answering all "help me choose a saw" threads with:

MS 880 STIHL Magnum ::-)

It is an object of beauty.
You mean you're not going to simply crown a 60cc powerhead from one of the Big Two as the go to machine? Pshaw..... ;lol :p

No doubt a more practical choice... but much less exciting!

Also a fan of the 55 - only had one for a bit before I broke it down and sold for parts, but easy saw to work on, well built, and would treat you well if it is in good shape. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.