Help choosing between efficient wood boiler and wood gasification

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AlaskaWoodburner said:
Have you considered a Greenwood boiler?

One of the main reasons that I got one is because it has long burn times and does not require water storage.

Somehow, the increased benefits of storage combined with gasification has gotten convoluted into a misperception about the need for storage. Let me try to be clear about my experience and understanding:

Gasification boilers do not require storage.

All boilers benefit from storage.

Gasifiers can benefit more, which makes storage a better investment if you have a gasifier.

Gasifiers without storage are still vastly more efficient than conventional boilers. My often quoted hard data about a 40% reduction in wood consumption going from a conventional wood boiler to a gasifier was for an installation without storage.

All that having been said, if you have a gasifier and idle it a lot, you stand to gain quite a bit of efficiency by adding storage. The idling gasifier will burn less than a conventional boiler, but you will reduce your consumption even more with storage.

If you don't operate a gasifier so that it idles a lot, you won't realize much savings from storage. Instead, you'll find that you gain comfort and convenience. You'll have to build fewer fires and your house temperature will remain more constant.

Something that seems to be missing in this discussion is what I consider a significant advantage to having large storage - the ability to use that with a solar system in the shoulder seasons and the summer. A huge thermal mass of water is great for storing heat from a solar panel or two for one's domestic hot water. Add the fact, as mentioned by some, that by storing the heat in a large volume of water, one can run their wood burning appliance at maximum burn and maximum efficiency with minimal smoke. Something like a GARN makes sense as the unit, while not pretty, does provide an all-in-one package. It is not a cheap solution, but the high upfront costs will pay off in less wood consumption and all the benefits that go along with that. My two cents. Cheers.

Ecky said:
Something that seems to be missing in this discussion is what I consider a significant advantage to having large storage - the ability to use that with a solar system in the shoulder seasons and the summer. A huge thermal mass of water is great for storing heat from a solar panel or two for one's domestic hot water. Add the fact, as mentioned by some, that by storing the heat in a large volume of water, one can run their wood burning appliance at maximum burn and maximum efficiency with minimal smoke. Something like a GARN makes sense as the unit, while not pretty, does provide an all-in-one package. It is not a cheap solution, but the high upfront costs will pay off in less wood consumption and all the benefits that go along with that. My two cents. Cheers.

What I learned over this past summer is that , my solar system had to be limited to one of my 119 gallon Super Store tanks to be most effective for domestic hot water production . When on vacation I let the energy flow through a second tank. Just something to keep in mind when planning your system.
Anthony

Anthony D said:
What I learned over this past summer is that , my solar system had to be limited to one of my 119 gallon Super Store tanks to be most effective for domestic hot water production . When on vacation I let the energy flow through a second tank. Just something to keep in mind when planning your system.

Personally, when I do solar installs with a large thermal storage tank, I use a priority design: it charges the domestic tank, first, then any excess energy gets dumped into the larger thermal storage tank. Works out nice. Put up a big enough panel, and you can actually get some space heating from the solar, especially if you have radiant heat.

Joe

What I learned over this past summer is that , my solar system had to be limited to one of my 119 gallon Super Store tanks to be most effective for domestic hot water production
Anthony.
I gather from your post that the SHW production of your array is only enough for one tank. Is there a rule of thumb for storage versus collector area ? Would it be different for flat plate versus Evac tube? Thanks
Will

Willman said:
What I learned over this past summer is that , my solar system had to be limited to one of my 119 gallon Super Store tanks to be most effective for domestic hot water production
Anthony.
I gather from your post that the SHW production of your array is only enough for one tank. Is there a rule of thumb for storage versus collector area ? Would it be different for flat plate versus Evac tube? Thanks
Will

My feeling on solar home and domestic hot water production , depends on how you set your solar panels mainly tilt angle . My system actually produces more energy in the dead of the winter months because I set the panels on a 83 degrees tilt , almost vertical , snow and ice seem to slide off . My summer output is highly reduced by the massive trees and slope of the mountain . We have total shade by 3:00 pm .
Anthony

BrownianHeatingTech said:
Personally, when I do solar installs with a large thermal storage tank, I use a priority design: it charges the domestic tank, first, then any excess energy gets dumped into the larger thermal storage tank. Works out nice. Put up a big enough panel, and you can actually get some space heating from the solar, especially if you have radiant heat.

Joe

That seems like an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing. I am going to implement it!

Status
Not open for further replies.