Help choosing wood burning insert. Height clearance issues.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Relay700

Hearth Supporter
Jun 4, 2008
Northeast MA
Hi there.
I am looking to install a wood burning insert into our fireplace. My problem is that my wife and I both like the look of the cast iron stoves and surrounds vs. the steel and we are limited to a maximum of 31" height. From the hearth to a 6" stone mantle is 31" and most of the larger stoves we are looking at require a 34' height. The stone mantle was laid into the brickwork during construction and would be major remodeling to make any changes. The full measurements are 31"high x 41" width and 20.5" deep. Inside the box tapers to 34" wide.
The hearth is about 10" off the floor and sticks out from the fireplace another 18" - Perhaps a regular stove in front of the hearth might work?

The house is about 2500 sq feet and was built in the 60s. I have insulated the walls and added 2nd layer of insulation in the attic which helps a bit.
I am not really focused on saving money, although that would be really nice as well. My primary purpose is really to increase comfort as we have a central heating/ac system that I hate during the winter. it's nice temp just as it shuts off but within minutes, it starts feeling cold again.

I am going to try and include a pic of the floor plan of the house and a pic of the fireplace for reference.
The existing fireplace is centrally located so that probably helps.

Thanks!

BTW, I installed a Jotul GF-400 gas stove using propane in my family room a few years ago. It works fantastic but really only heats the medium size family room that it is in. I was hoping that the centrally located stove would provide for more of the living area.

Attachments

• house layout.jpg
    house layout.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 272
  • fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 276
Greetings relay. It looks like the key issue is going to be the brick wall immediately to the right of the fireplace opening. But there are usually some options. What inserts have you looked at?

One might be the Pacific Energy Alderlea Insert. Its standard surround dimensions are: 42-1/2" W x 29-3/8"T
The Hearthstone Clydesdale has 47-1/8" x 29-1/2" surround panels.

I think I would look into a hearth stove out front like a big Jotul F-600 and either clean up the inside of the fireplace or seal it off with similar brick or steel plate. You would also need a hearth extention pad or tiles out front. Another hearth stove to consider is the VC Defiant 2 in 1, the top load feature would work well in that situation.

Todd said:
I think I would look into a hearth stove out front like a big Jotul F-600 and either clean up the inside of the fireplace or seal it off with similar brick or steel plate. You would also need a hearth extention pad or tiles out front. Another hearth stove to consider is the VC Defiant 2 in 1, the top load feature would work well in that situation.

If a free standing stove is an option you could add Quadra Fire Isle Royale and the Pacific Energy T6. Both have the cast iron look as well.

Thanks for reply!

I was seriously looking at the Jotul 550 as I am already an owner of Jotul gas stove and really like it.
It needs 34" height for the nice cast surround so that won't work :(
I thought Quadrafire 5100 was too big but just looked and it shows 31" for the small surround. I have 31.125" so it would be VERY tight :)

The Hampton HI300 looks like it would fit at 30" but it looks like a small firebox.

A flush (or nearly so) insert's your best bet, I think. Any sort of hearth stove installation would undoubtedly require a hearth extension. I can't imagine that there's not some insert available out there that will fit right into that fireplace. The location in the house is about as good as it gets. You'll want to line the chimney, and you'll need power for the blower(s)...stuff to think about/ask about. Those are my thoughts. Rick

Thanks Rick. I have power sort of close by. I will install an outlet right where I need it when the time comes.
Already planning for chimney re-line with proper insulation.
I need to fabricate some sort of metal seal once I cut out the damper but that's a little down the road.
I will have to remove the gas log set I installed myself a few years ago. Wife does not like it at all so we never use it.
It's vent free and throws a ton of heat but it does smell a bit.

Need to figure out what to get for stove first and then I can procede with all the prep work :)
I am sure i will be back asking lots of questions as wood burning will be very new to me in this fashion.

Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.