Help choosing woodstove insert (hearth size, emissions regulations)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mswoodheat

Sep 1, 2015
Southern Oregon
We bought a 1280sq ft ranch house last year and need to replace the Sweet Home woodstove (per Oregon regulations). We tried burning in it last winter anyway and I had so much trouble getting it started and reloading without smoke pouring into the living room. I believe it's one of the first generations of "efficient" stoves. After lurking here for a while I think I've figured out multiple mistakes I was making (I lived a few years with a smoke dragon with a large firebox). Regardless it needs to be replaced.

The existing stove is a freestanding one without legs in the fireplace. The hearth is not big enough and we use a hearth pad. We are looking at the Lopi Republic inserts; either the 1750i or the 1250i (both will have the fan option - free manufacturer promo for two more weeks). I keep coming back to the 1250i because I don't want to mess with the hearth pad anymore and don't want to cut or tile over the hardwood floor.

However, I have a few concerns with the 1250i:
-Will I be able to build and reload (as a beginner) without smoke without the bypass damper (which the 1750i has)?
-Will there be enough coals in the morning to start another fire easily?
-Will the current EPA regulations mean that by 2020 if I sell this house, my certified woodstove will no longer be certified? (4.4 gms p/h for the 1250i vs 1.9 gms p/hr for the 1750i) I would like the stove to be an asset to the house longterm.

Welcome. The smoke pouring into the room may indicate a problem with the flue, not the stove. It could be weak draft. Is there a full stainless liner from the stove to the chimney cap? How tall is the chimney?

The 1250i will heat the place ok, especially if you are down in the valley like Eugene and not at higher altitudes like Grant's Pass. Where are you? The firebox size is what will mostly determine how long the stove burns. So will outside temps, wood seasoning and how the stove is operated. Expect 4-6 hr burn times with doug fir. The 1750 will burn for about 6-8 hrs with its larger capacity. Regardless of stove choice these stoves are going to want fully seasoned wood to perform well. Beware, most wood sold is not fully seasoned.

Thanks for your reply. We do not have a liner - we will be having one installed with the new stove. It's a one story house with the back side of the chimney in the uninsulated garage.

We are in Medford about 1400' elevation.

I am a bit concerned about getting wood this late in the summer to burn this winter. My uncle has had good luck with a local supplier, so I will start there. If I can afford some madrone, I'll be getting that too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!

A pic or two of your current setup would be really helpful and the dimensions of the fireplace. Are the Lopis the only inserts you have looked at so far? There are certainly others that may potentially fit your design preferences and other criteria.

It is hard to say what will be the EPA emission limits in 2020 and beyond. There are currently a lot of discussions ongoing about testing procedures, future limits etc. The best you could do would be to buy a unit that is considered to be very clean burning right now. It also will depend a lot on the home buyer whether they even consider an insert an asset or not. Still a lot of people out there that prefer an open fireplace and quickly sell any insert/stove that comes with the house. Thus, I would rank that criteria of relatively low importance as there are too many unknowns.

Thanks for your reply. We do not have a liner - we will be having one installed with the new stove. It's a one story house with the back side of the chimney in the uninsulated garage.

We are in Medford about 1400' elevation.

I am a bit concerned about getting wood this late in the summer to burn this winter. My uncle has had good luck with a local supplier, so I will start there. If I can afford some madrone, I'll be getting that too.
The lack of liner is probably what is causing the smoke spillage. This could be a dangerous installation. It's good that you are getting the problem addressed. The reason I ask how tall your chimney is because most modern stoves will want at least 15 ft of flue to perform well. Definitely have the chimney completely cleaned before installing a proper stainless steel, insulated liner.

Network to find good wood. It is very late to be getting firewood but if you know a reputable dealer you may find some actually seasoned wood. Note that logs fell in the winter, but just split last month or last week do not constitute seasoned wood. Madrone is nice firewood but it needs 2 yrs to season well. Avoid good ole boys that tell you their firewood burns fine in their old stoves in spite of being split a week ago. That's why OR passed aggressive emissions laws.

Reactions: mswoodheat
Welcome to the forum!

A pic or two of your current setup would be really helpful and the dimensions of the fireplace. Are the Lopis the only inserts you have looked at so far? There are certainly others that may potentially fit your design preferences and other criteria.

It is hard to say what will be the EPA emission limits in 2020 and beyond. There are currently a lot of discussions ongoing about testing procedures, future limits etc. The best you could do would be to buy a unit that is considered to be very clean burning right now. It also will depend a lot on the home buyer whether they even consider an insert an asset or not. Still a lot of people out there that prefer an open fireplace and quickly sell any insert/stove that comes with the house. Thus, I would rank that criteria of relatively low importance as there are too many unknowns.
I can't imagine preferring an open fireplace to a woodstove, so thank you for reminding me others may think differently. We do have a relatively efficient gas furnace, I just much prefer the feel of wood heat. Attached is our current stove in the fireplace.

We also looked at a Regency insert, but wasn't crazy about the dealership. There didn't seem to be a lot of options locally (especially in the sub $2000 range).

The EPA regulations I looked up indicate that by 2020 emissions will need to be 2.0 grams per hour for new manufacturing. The 1750i is 1.9 and the 1250i is 4.4... just trying to make the smartest choice I can. :-/

Attachments

• IMG_20150901_134843864.jpg
    IMG_20150901_134843864.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20150901_134937157.jpg
    IMG_20150901_134937157.jpg
    325.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of liner is probably what is causing the smoke spillage. This could be a dangerous installation. It's good that you are getting the problem addressed. The reason I ask how tall your chimney is because most modern stoves will want at least 15 ft of flue to perform well. Definitely have the chimney completely cleaned before installing a proper stainless steel, insulated liner.

Network to find good wood. It is very late to be getting firewood but if you know a reputable dealer you may find some actually seasoned wood. Note that logs fell in the winter, but just split last month or last week do not constitute seasoned wood. Madrone is nice firewood but it needs 2 yrs to season well. Avoid good ole boys that tell you their firewood burns fine in their old stoves in spite of being split a week ago. That's why OR passed aggressive emissions laws.

Thanks for the note about madrone - I wondered.

Status
Not open for further replies.