Help contacting Englander Furnace Tech support

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigoakhunter

Oct 8, 2010
Mid-Michigan
I have an Englander 28-3500 that is a very good furnace, with one exception. I cannot get long burn times. I have tried many things, but have come to believe I have a problem with the slider damper on front of the unit. I e-mailed Englander with a picture of what I believe is the issue. I have not gotten a response. It has been quite a while now. Possibly my inquiry got lost. I know from lurking that one or two of the Englander guys hang out on Heart.com. If anybody can get me a contact it would be appreciated.

I do love the way the stove burns and it does a good job of heating 2400 sq. ft.! So no beef there. Just need to talk to someone knowledgable with the 28-3500.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

Like I said a good unit. I believe I have a broken front slide damper. Last winter with good seasoned Ok, maple, beech, ash, I was getting 5 1/2 hour max burn time. More like 5 hours most of the time. If I woke up 6 to 6 1/2 hours after filling not even coals to get it going again with. Did not matter how I oriented the wood. That is with slide damper and front spin damper closed all the way.

Let me say "again" this stove does a good job of heating my house and was in the right price range. I just need some tech answers.

How tall is your chimney? Maybe you are getting too much draft sucking through everywhere. Is your door sealed tightly when shut? YOu mentioned the damper was problematic. Can you describe what is the issue with it? If it's the damper on top, it almost sounds as if it is mounted in such a way that it wouldn't ever close (maybe it's not tight enough against the front of the furnace. You can remove the cover and check, just remove the two screws on the right and left.

If that is not helping, try calling their customer service line, I've always been able to get through on the phone and talk to someone. Do you want to post your picture here and those who own the Englander furnace (self included) can tell you if that's what they see on theirs?

I do have a set up that gets good draft. Center chimney through from basement. I have redone the rope on doors to make sure they seal tight. I believe the slide damper is the problem because in the shut position air blows out and you can feel it with hand in front of slide damper. Also when i drove stove home from retailer, inside stove was a flat piece of metal that is about 3-5 inches long, about a quarter inch wide and looks like and old fashion airplane propeller. I wonder if it was supposed to be inside the slide damper??? I sent pictures to Englander of it , but have not gotten a reply. I suppose I could also add a damper in the stovepipe from furnace to block chimney. ( some have suggested that to lessen my good draft)

Dave

Did you take off the damper and look at what actually slides inside the cover?

One thing that puzzles me is that you talk about "air blowing out that you can feel"? If anything air should be sucking into it... That is puzzling to me. Unless the distribution blower is blowing somehow through it. Does that cause smoke to blow into the house then too?

No smoke. I have tried unsuccessfully to get those 2 screws out. If I could a picture from Englander of what their slide looks like, I would know if mine was broken when I bought the unit, as piece was inside stove when we got home. ( Once again, I love the furnace, no gripes there.)

With the damper shut when stove is loaded, you can feel air movement when holding hand in front of the slide damper track. I have a woodshed and I am burning hardwood that has been in roofed woodshed with venilted side for 3 full years.

Status
Not open for further replies.