Help: Craftsman Won't Rev

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmGuy

Minister of Fire
Jan 30, 2006
Far Northern Calif. Coast
Well, I finally found someone to buy my one-year-old 40 cc Craftsman chainsaw, but I started it up today, and it dies when I try to rev it up (i.e. dies on load). I've had similar problems before.

Here are things I've tried, without success:

1. Used neighbor's gas (his is about a month old, and should be fine)
2. Cleaned air filter (not with water, just brushed it clean)
3. Ran it without the air filter
4. Removed spark plug and brushed it and filed so that clean metal was showing

Is there anything else I can try? I'm good with mechanical stuff, but have no experience with small engines.

I'm selling it for $75, so it's probably not worth taking it into a shop.

Thanks,

Did you try cleaning or replacing the fuel filter? It's at the end of a tube in the tank. You can probably fish it out with an old hanger or other piece of bent wire.

The Pouland saws are famous for the gas lines deteration and breaking off. I don't know who built your craftsman, but the fuel line in my Pouland broke. It was working great one moment, stopped the saw to do some stuff, restarted it and whenever I tried to give it gas, it died.

Eric Johnson said:
Did you try cleaning or replacing the fuel filter? It's at the end of a tube in the tank. You can probably fish it out with an old hanger or other piece of bent wire.

Thanks, Eric. I just did that but it looked clean and there were no obvious obstructions. After a few hours to let the wine I had with lunch wear off I'll try it again.

In the second picture, what is that tube down in the gas tank (air return?)?

Attachments

• FuelStuff 001.jpg
    FuelStuff 001.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 276
  • FuelStuff 004.jpg
    FuelStuff 004.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 292
It's probably the fuel tank vent, unless you see something loose in the bottom of the tank. If it's been sitting for any period of time with gas in it, the diaphragms in the carb may be hard as a rock.

Well, it's working fine now! Let the wine wear off, filled the tank, started it up, it hesitated for a bit, there was a puff of smoke, then it ran fine.

And the best part: I SOLD IT!

I was totally up front about the problem, but the buyer wasn't concerned. I sold it for only $65 -- would have asked for more if there hadn't been any problems.

Sure is a mystery to me. I'm guessing some transient blockage of the fuel. Maybe futzing with the fuel filter fixed it.

But in any case, now I'm ready to buy a Stihl.

So you’re saying wine doesn’t make good chainsaw fuel.....

Prince Charles' Aston Martin Hybrid Runs On Wine
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/30/prince-charles-aston-mart_n_110033.html

Obviously, the headline is wrong, as it’s not a “hybrid” but it’s interesting nonetheless, IMHO.

Btw...for anyone who's interested, the www.huffingtonpost.com is a pretty good source of non-MSM (the so-called "mainstream media" news). Also see www.rawstory.com. But we can't hold the "hybrid" thing against them--they're gonna get a few things wrong, but they get the big stuff correct far more often than not. As does www.rawstory.com

Peter

Anytime a 2 cycle motor fails to rev, check the muffler spark arrestor. It is usually a fine piece of screen that when it becomes clogged, the motor will fail to rev or lack power. Also, use a 2 cycle SYNTHETIC oil as a mix, it will smoke less and not clog the screen nearly as fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.