help deciding on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinindian

Sep 22, 2008
Quebec
Hello,

I'm trying to decide on one of three models and I can use some input.

1) Jotul C350 Winterport $4350.00
2) Regency I1200 $3590.00
3) Pacific Energy Vista $2900.00

All prices are with a chimney liner, installation and all taxes included.

I was told that the steal units can be peaky with the heat while the Jotul cast iron unit will be more constant heat which will be more comfortable.

Are the prices reasonable or should I look at other dealers?

Is it worth the extra money to go with the Jotul? The fireplace is in the family room where we spend most of our time.

Thanks,

Can't speak to your budget, but I will say that putting the appliance in the room where you spend your time is a very smart thing to do. The three you listed are all from reputable manufacturers. I didn't look up the heating capacities of them, but I assume you've done your homework and that any of them is appropriately sized for your application. If that's the case, then I wouldn't get all wrapped around the "steel vs. cast iron" issue, because a cast insert is probably mostly steel inside anyway. Pick the one that pleases you and your pocketbook the most. I must add two things: I don't own an insert, just freestanding woodstoves...and welcome to the forum! Rick

I'd go with the Vista. For the additional cost, there is little gained. All of these inserts are steel stoves at heart. The Winterport is a nicely made and beautiful looking insert and well made. But putting a fancy cast-iron face does not make it a better performer.

Just curious, would the fireplace and home accommodate a larger stove like the Pacific D1 insert? With Quebec cold, I'd want a bigger stove unless the family room is isolated from the rest of the house or it just won't fit.

Just curious, would the fireplace and home accommodate a larger stove like the Pacific D1 insert? With Quebec cold, I’d want a bigger stove unless the family room is isolated from the rest of the house or it just won’t fit.
I would love to put in a bigger unit but I'm limited with a 21.5" H opening.

Thanks for the input, I guess I can use the $1400 bucks saved to buy wood to burn. ;-)

The D1 is 20.875" I believe. Worth having the PE dealer see if they think they can install in your fireplace, but if not, the Vista is a good unit.

tinindian said:
Hello,

I'm trying to decide on one of three models and I can use some input.

Are the prices reasonable or should I look at other dealers?

Is it worth the extra money to go with the Jotul? The fireplace is in the family room where we spend most of our time.

Thanks,

That does seem excessively higher for the Jotul, but I am not up to date on prices....

In any case, these are all steel units and the advice you got about the heat is not accurate. As to installation, yes - there can be big differences. Maybe the Jotul install is insulating the chimney liner and the others are not? Just a guess, but you should compare the exact specs (or close) of the installation(s). Have them break out the price of the stove and blower so you can accurately compare the products themselves. All are well known brands.

I didn't look at the Pacific D1 because it the spec's ask for 22" H which I definitely do not have. I will ask the dealer if it can be installed in a 21.5" H.

The Jotul and PE Vista are from the same dealer with the same liner installed. The Regency had a much higher cost for the liner so I guess I should get some more details concerning the liner from both dealers to to better evaluate the prices.

Here are the prices for the stoves alone.

Jotul $3000
Regency $1900 (this is with a nickle trim door, adds about $200 to the cost)
PE Vista $1700 (black door)

Thanks again for the input and the warm welcome to the forum.

One thing you'll like about the Vista is the easy to remove baffle. It should make the yearly chore of chimney cleaning a snap.
I'm not sure if the other 2 you listed have baffles that are easy to pull out.
Just something to think about.

The Jotul stoves are quite a bit more $$$ here in Winnipeg, too.

I have pretty much made up my mind to go with the PE Vista.

I was wondering how much heat is there around the fireplace? Does it become too hot to sit 4 to 5 feet away? I have never owned an insert so I really have nothing to base it on. I was OK sitting that close with the open fireplace but then most of the heat was going strait up the chimney.

Thanks,

That does seem excessively higher for the Jotul, but I am not up to date on prices....

We paid $2500 the larger version of the Winterport which is the Rockland and paid $1100 for the install. $3600 total.

If you are going with an insert, make sure it has a blower in it. With the blower off on ours it does not throw near the heat because inserts are set back in the fireplace.

Jotul 550 Rockland
Connecticut

Status
Not open for further replies.