Help determining what stove this is please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rule69

Nov 17, 2015
Detroit, Mi
I just recently bought a house am in the process of cleaning out the shed and found this. Mine is in very bad shape. Door broken off on the left side all rust color. Need some tlc.

Attachments

• wood-burning-stove.jpg
    wood-burning-stove.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 212
it is an old Franklin style stove. Many companies made them and they are very inefficient. I would not waste any time or effort on it. I do have one as an outside fireplace

My family had one of these in the early 1970's and then when we had the oil embargo and price of fuel oil went up my father put in an Olin air tight wood stove and we then heated the house with that stove for many years. The only thing that stove is good for is viewing a fire, if you have the screen, and roasting marshmallows and hot dogs. Many found memories.

Thats just a picture i found on the internet. Its in a 10x15 shed.on a brick floor. Would just use it for heating the shed when i have to do some work outside as the wife doesn't want my tools in the house. Got it for free with the house.

Looks like a Sears or MonkeyWard franklin. Based on the description I would scrap it.

So not worth using it sparingly as needed?

Its hooked up but they have the flue pipe reduced from 8" to 6". I would be using it for a heat source when im in the shed in winter.

Its hooked up but they have the flue pipe reduced from 8" to 6". I would be using it for a heat source when im in the shed in winter.

Ok, so it's not in the house. Could you take some pictures? If the clearances are good, there isn't a real reason you couldn't use it for some heat. Like already mentioned it's not very efficient but since you're heating a smaller space, that doesn't matter much.

Ill take some pictures of it in the morning.

And thanks for the quick replies everyone.

This is how i found it when I cleaned out the shed

Attachments

• 20151118_083647-1.jpg
    20151118_083647-1.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 139
  • 20151118_083621.jpg
    20151118_083621.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 143
  • 20151118_083608.jpg
    20151118_083608.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 20151118_083542.jpg
    20151118_083542.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 147
  • 20151118_083526.jpg
    20151118_083526.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 149
First thing im thinking of doing is move it from there and try cleaning it up. Then maybe take the other doors off and fabricating a single door to put on it. Have an old coal bin door that i can fab up for the door.

First thing im thinking of doing is move it from there and try cleaning it up. Then maybe take the other doors off and fabricating a single door to put on it. Have an old coal bin door that i can fab up for the door.
Or should i look into finding another unit all together? This will probably be used 1-3 times a week if that in the winter.

Or should i look into finding another unit all together? This will probably be used 1-3 times a week if that in the winter.

I think you may want to consider another unit, but also having someone hook it up correctly. I'm not as familiar with clearances as some people on this site, but it looks like a sketchy install. You certainly don't want to burn the building down.

I would look on craigs list and find another stove. You can find something much better than that for less than $200, and it will give off better heat and probably only need a paint job. Unless you want a project I would list it on Craigs list and you will probably get $100.

Looking at craigs list in your area there are several good looking stoves at a cheap price that would be much better than what you have. I am surprised to see all the franklin style stove like your for sale. You may not get much if anything for yours.

Looking at craigs list in your area there are several good looking stoves at a cheap price that would be much better than what you have. I am surprised to see all the franklin style stove like your for sale. You may not get much if anything for yours.
After looking myself I see what you are talking about. May buy another one next year after doing some research as i do plan on moving and making the shed bigger and possibly building a garage and shed combo.

Last edited:
That install is not safe. The hillbilly flue connection is totally bad. What is being used outdoor for a chimney?

Don't use this setup even if you replace the fireplace with a better stove.

Im goig to replace the flue before I do anything. Guess I'll have to use the propane heater until I fix everything. It has regular galvanized pipe outside to what looks like a class A pipe not sure and it has a rain cap on it

I want to run it through the roof instead of through the wall. I can run stove pipe just below where i have the transition to the class A for the roof right?

Also can i run 8" class A from the top of roof and inside run 6" if i change the stove to a new one later on?

Status
Not open for further replies.