HELP ~ Direct Vent Gas Fireplace, who to trust!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoggy66

Aug 12, 2014
Santa Rosa CA
We are trying to decide which Zero Clearance Fireplace would be the best to buy. We've been to 3 dealers showrooms and have come away more confused than ever. Being totally new to getting one of these units, puts us at a disadvantage as we don't want a huge fireplace because of our small 1,050 sq. foot home. Our front room is where the fireplace will be on a 77" wide wall between two long windows. There was a fireplace there originally, was was torn down as it was falling down. We've had 2 installer come and look at the dimensions. One can only install & run gas, electricity for the unit, the other was a full contractor, who can install, building in the surround, tile, run gas, etc. Our problem is with the stoves. We were leaning toward Kozy Heat with either the Dassel, Princeton or other slim line stove with one of their Mantle surrounds. Then I saw the recall for them on the internet as of 4-4-14 (all of these models affected) because of potential firebox blow up. Models from 2009-2013 purchased for $1450-$3325. This has scared us away from considering the Kozy. Next we are considering the Valor Line Horizon units, or the Avalon by Travis Industries. I have seen major complaints on the internet about Travis Industries, and I am scared of buying one of their products. If anyone can give us some advise on what to look for we are so appreciative.

Status
Not open for further replies.