1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help! Do I let the stove run or program to cycle up and down

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Bill Kennedy, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Bill Kennedy

Bill Kennedy New Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    Rika integra ii insert
    New to pellets this season . what is the most efficient way to run the stove. The rika has a programmable thermostat capable of two heating cycles each day. I can't decide if it is more effective to just pick a temp and have the stove maintain it. Or do I go the cycle route ,twice a day ,early morning cycling down while we are at work , back up to temp before we get home until evening then lower during sleep hours.
    It seem to take quite a bit to get back up to temp
    Any input is appreciated

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Make certain you don't set the stove back so far it can't recover in time for you to be comfortable when you are home. You can save some pellets doing the cycling.
  3. Bill Kennedy

Bill Kennedy New Member

Loc:
    NW CT
    Any suggestions on what the temp range would be good
    Ex when home 70-72
    Away 62-64
    Acceptable?
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    What is acceptable depends upon the stoves ability to recover temperature in your house on any given day, there is no way for me to know if those are acceptable or not.

You can start with 70-72 when home and 64-66 when not and see how things go. As it gets colder you may find that this might not work or if your house is really well insulated and sealed it does work and you can widen the gap a bit.