Help! Do I let the stove run or program to cycle up and down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Kennedy

Sep 17, 2012
NW CT
Rika integra ii insert
New to pellets this season . what is the most efficient way to run the stove. The rika has a programmable thermostat capable of two heating cycles each day. I can't decide if it is more effective to just pick a temp and have the stove maintain it. Or do I go the cycle route ,twice a day ,early morning cycling down while we are at work , back up to temp before we get home until evening then lower during sleep hours.
It seem to take quite a bit to get back up to temp
Any input is appreciated

Make certain you don't set the stove back so far it can't recover in time for you to be comfortable when you are home. You can save some pellets doing the cycling.

What is acceptable depends upon the stoves ability to recover temperature in your house on any given day, there is no way for me to know if those are acceptable or not.

You can start with 70-72 when home and 64-66 when not and see how things go. As it gets colder you may find that this might not work or if your house is really well insulated and sealed it does work and you can widen the gap a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.