HELP: Does this liner look safe to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dreezon

Aug 7, 2009
Peoria, IL
I've got a WS Fireview, but this being my first season, I've been forced to burn some marginal wood. I just pulled the cap off the Tee to check my liner, and this is what it looks like.

I would just go up and do a sweep to err on the side of caution, but weather, etc. is making it unsafe for the foreseeable future. I was pleasantly surprised how clean the liner looks. Seems like just a light, brownish-gray dusting, but what do you think, those of you who have more experience? Does this look safe? Do I need to sweep ASAP? Can I burn until the weather improves. Can I wait till spring? I did manage to hit the lower end (below the ovalizing) and the horizontal pipe going to the tee. Those parts seemed worse than the actual liner.

Also, any tips for how to sweep the ovalized part? That poly brush is pretty stiff.

Attachments

• LinerInMidJan.jpg
    LinerInMidJan.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 249
It dont look bad, Ive seen worse

Get to about an evenly distributed 1/4" of sooty black deposits around the inside of that liner, and it's time for a sweep. Until then, it's looking just fine. Rick

(Yes, Hanko, I finished your editing for you...strictly G-rated around here, remember...I did get a chuckle out of it, though)

Oh your no fun rick

Hanko said:
Oh your no fun rick

I know. I used to be...but now I'm just turnin' into an old fuddy-duddy. I bore myself to tears. Sucks. Big time.

There is no way to tell from there what the top end looks like. But chimney fires start at the bottom and there isn't anything there that is going to start a chimney fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.