HELP DW India 224 needs repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dyerkutn

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2011
Boston NW suburbs
I just signed on to this forum--never done this before and I am happy to learn there is whole lot people out there who are willing to share their experience and knowledge. I have DW India 224 CCL which I inherited when I bought my house in 1999. It was probably installed in 1989 as part of a renovation/addition. I have been using it every winter, more and more each year and I love it. Judging from the posts I have read in this forum, I have learned to use it pretty well and it functions quite nicely. I don't know if I could get an 8 hour burn without restocking but no smoke, the little thermometer gets up to 1200 pretty easily. My only complaint is that it is hard to regulate the temp in the house.

All that being said, I have never had maintenance on it other than pipe and chimney cleaning (no residue) and having a couple of gaskets replaced by the pipe and chimney guys (who say I probably need to replace the pipe in a year or two--the pipe is probably, 10-15 feet between the top of stove and ceiling). However, I would like someone to look at it to see if it is maximally efficient, needs some kind of major cleaning, needs parts replaced or anything else. Though it seems to work well, it looks pretty rough--rusty spots, all the outside sheen worn off, windows seem permanently dirty, and in off season never seem to be able to get the inside clean.

SO--being that I am not so handy and work about a zillion hours, I am trying to find someone REALLY good who can come and do a general maintenance and talk to me about the stove. Such people seem very hard to come by.

I noticed in one of the posts that someone had taken their DW to someone who completely took it apart, overhauled and painted it a beautiful red. There were great pics. And also, I saw in the postings of Feb. 2010-2011 that VC Burner bought his stove from someone near Fitchburg who works on these stoves.

I live Northwest of Boston--How is it possible to find out the name/number of the guy in Fitchburg and does anyone know of anyone else in the southern New England who works on these stoves. I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to the forums.
I hope you will find some answers.....

As far as basic parts and knowledge, Black Swam seems to know a lot:
http://www.blackswanhome.com/fa224-ccl.html

Is that your stove model? Do all the parts look the same?

Maybe they know some folks closer to you since they probably sell parts to chimney sweeps, etc.....

Feens has been around for a long time - they may know someone, as they sold the brand for quite a few years.
http://www.feens.com/ourStory.html

Thank you for responding so quickly and for clueing me in to how to reply.

None of my browsers seem to want to connect with Black Swan--however, I have no doubt that your link will take me to the model but perhaps DW consolidated instead of DW India--they are slightly different as I understand. Anyway, I will contact them and continue on my search!!!

Well, if you can make sense of it the way I pirated it, here's what's to be found in the link that Craig posted. I'll try pasting the parts list, then attaching the exploded diagram:

#01 - Torsion Bar Clip Item# 9533
#02 - Damper Item# 9675
#03 - By-Pass Gate Side Support Item# 9662
#04 - By-pass Gate Crank Assembly Item# 9579
#05 - Catalytic Probe Thermometer Item# 9555
#06 - Catalytic Combustor Item# 9571
#07 - Glass gasket Item# 10140
#08 - Interam Gasket Item# 9583
#09 - Combustor Chamber Item# 9641
#10 - Baffle Item# 9643
#11 - Right Side Grate Item# 9647
#12 - Grate Back Item# 9666
#13 - Front Grate Item# 9665
#14 - Left Side Grate Item# 9648
#16 - Shaker Grate Cover Item# 9670
#17 - Rocker Grate Item# 9645
#18 - Fixed Grate Item# 9576
#19 - Brass Dial (small) Item# 9663
#20 - Brass Handle Item# 9427
#21 - Brass Dial (large) Item# 9632
#22 - Shaker Grate Cap Assembly Item# 9637
#23 - Side Half Wall Item# 9633
#25 - Glass Frame Item# 9716
#26 - Glass Pane Item# 9694
#27 - 6" Leg Item# 9573
#29 - Door Latch Assembly Item# 9686
#30 - Spring Item# 9638
CDW Gasket Kit - Vermont Castings Brand Item# 9596
Black Swan Brand Dutchwest Gasket Kit Item# 9575

Attachments

• fa224ccl(1).gif
    fa224ccl(1).gif
    136.8 KB · Views: 720
Fossil--thanks--got the image and the parts very readable. Looks like the one--down to the pie wedge doors with the little rectangular windows and the rocker grates. Interesting in the parts list:

CDW Gasket Kit - Vermont Castings Brand Item# 9596
Black Swan Brand Dutchwest Gasket Kit Item# 9575

Will have to see if DW India is the Black Swan version of CDW Vermont Castings.

Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.