help, englander 25 puf is backing up!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gossipninja

Nov 21, 2007
ohio
Just bought an englander (summers heat) 25-puf and for some reason it isnt burning the pellets completely and as a result, they build up in the burn pot and will back up into the chute. My brother let it burn that way and now there is some scorching near the pellet chute mouth. I have cleaned everything out and it still does not burn the pellets completely, they look charred but still look like pellets. I think my brother messed with the 3 buttons on the bottom of the controls and as such, that could be the problem. My unit was manufactured 12/07. Also, what is the correct orientation of those metal pieces next to the burn pot, the flat squares with the posts in the center? do they face post up or post down into the ashpan? They got knocked around during shipping and I want to make sure they are oriented correctly. I have them post up currently. Tried calling englander but i guess they are off for the holidays, hoping to catch one of them on here.

gosssipninja said:
Just bought an englander (summers heat) 25-puf and for some reason it isnt burning the pellets completely and as a result, they build up in the burn pot and will back up into the chute. My brother let it burn that way and now there is some scorching near the pellet chute mouth. I have cleaned everything out and it still does not burn the pellets completely, they look charred but still look like pellets. I think my brother messed with the 3 buttons on the bottom of the controls and as such, that could be the problem. My unit was manufactured 12/07. Also, what is the correct orientation of those metal pieces next to the burn pot, the flat squares with the posts in the center? do they face post up or post down into the ashpan? They got knocked around during shipping and I want to make sure they are oriented correctly. I have them post up currently. Tried calling englander but i guess they are off for the holidays, hoping to catch one of them on here.

the ash dump covers should be positioned so that the holes are completely covered, the air deflector under the fire pot should be oriented so the square cutout in the plate is toward the front of the stove , and the firepot itself must be pushed all the way back flat against the back wall of the cradle

thanks for the fast reply mike! also what is are the defaults for the "3 buttons" as i said I think my brother messed with them, unit made 12/07

gosssipninja said:
thanks for the fast reply mike! also what is are the defaults for the "3 buttons" as i said I think my brother messed with them, unit made 12/07

defaults for that unit are 1-5-1 left to right, unless you are at high altitude or have a longer than normal intake run , in which case i'd experiment with going higher with the low burn air, ive run some up to 9 before to correct for outside of normal hookups. keep me informed if you are still having problems

I am having the same problem and after talking to the factory last year I am already at 1-9-1. Even at low settings (1/3 and 2/4) I have to tend it and stir the fire pot hourly. On higher setting the frequency increases quite a bit. It seems worse than last year and I have only been burning for a week now.

Incomplete burning of pellets is usually too much fuel or not enough air. They kind of go together. I had a similar problem last year. Make sure your 3 button settings are correct and there are no restrictions in your outside air. Check the "screen" outside. It can be cleaned with a wire brush and/or stiff toothbrush. Last season my 3 buttons got hit accidentlly and this caused soot to clog my intake. Same thing, charred pellets instead of burnt ones.

Is there supposed to be an adjustable plate on top of the auger on these stoves? 55shp240. The reason I am asking is I also experience the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.