help finding a post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood burning cop

Nov 10, 2012
northern indiana
i looked and cant seem to find an old post on here. can anyone help me. it was about a us stove not burning right and the factory said to remove a firebrick. it helped. i want to find out more details about it and what the issue was. my seems to want to burn more to the left side of the firebox. any help would be appreciated.

It is to help with sluggish draft and to burn wet wood My bricks are in place right now I had one out on the right side early this fall.

How high is your chimney?

the chimney is 14 foot tall. when i burn it seems to want to stay towards the left side of the firebox and mostly in the front. i know the front part is because of the air, but i did not know what taking one of the firebricks out would do. which brick do you take out. mine seems to go good at start up and with the air opened up all the way to 1/2 way. when i turn it down much lower that half it seems to die down. the wood is ash and is dry. i have a meter and tested fresh splits at 15 to 18 % have a lot of coals, but trouble burning anything in the rear or right side.

puts out good heat and seems to get up to temp ok. last burn was 630 stove top and about 400 on the sides with an ir. thermometer. just have to keep moving the wood to the front and left for some reason to burn.

dont remember who posted it and it was not in the title.

that post was talking about bricks on top of the baffle. i thought the one i read was talking about firebrick inside the burn chamber itself. maybe i was wrong. no mention of the bricks on top of the baffle in the manual. i may call and ask usstove. thanks for your help.

that post was talking about bricks on top of the baffle. i thought the one i read was talking about firebrick inside the burn chamber itself. maybe i was wrong. no mention of the bricks on top of the baffle in the manual. i may call and ask usstove. thanks for your help.

Good luck there tech support is junk.

The bricks are in the fire box.

Might check your baffles above the burn tubes, make sure they are not broken or cracked and that they are fitting or sitting correctly up there above the burn tubes.
This may not be your trouble but you dont want any air flow around the back or the side of those baffle plates or between them if you have two sitting up there.

My stove has a blanket of ceramic insulation sitting on top of my baffle boards that is slightly over size to fill the gaps around the back and sides so the only way smoke is going to get up the flue is to travel across the baffle tubes and out the front of the stove up and around the front lip of the baffles.

If there is a leak then what might be happening is heat isnt building up in one side of your stove and not allowing the burn tubes to have a hot enough temps around them to allow secondary burn to occur.

Or another scenario is your wood is not good and dry and your stove is getting up to temps with the green wood as your baffle leak may be allowing that. The part of the stove that is burning good could be the part of the stove that the baffle is not sealed or missing completely there and the air gets to flow straight up into the flue instead of having to be directed over the burn tubes and out the front. So just check all of this as possible issues.

Just hit me is your door gasket leaking on the left side? Do a dollar bill test on the stove door gasket.

There is also a gasket that seals your door glass could be leaking also.

Your door latch is on the left side so check the latch and see if it needs adjust to shut the door tighter to seal the gasket better.

My gasket this year was getting brittle instead of staying soft as from cleaning the glass last year the liquids were settling into the gasket and the heat was evaporating the liguids leaving crusty stuff behind. Crusty gaskets dont seal very well. So I replaced it.

The couple of small issues i have had with tech support they have always been great. I also used to have a usstove 6039 multifuel stove and they were on the ball with any issues i had and sent free replacements parts when i requested.

the baffle is all the way to the back and i get good secondaries all the way across the top. the main part of the fire jsut does not seem to want to burn on the right side or in the back. I think the next burn i do i will try to let the fire get going for a longer period before i start to shut down the air some. just a learning curve and tweaking to be done. so far i am impressed by the heat it puts out. i think it will be better with 24/7 burns with a bed of coals to work off of continuesly.

thanks i will check the gasket when i get home. the door latch seems to close tight.

Does the window get dirty on that left side indicating a door leak? As the cool air coming in will cause stuff to stick to that part of the glass.

i have only had three break in fires and one normal fire, but the glass is clean and there is no buildup on it except a very small amount on the lower two corners.

the link that was provided above talks about brick on top of the baffle. is that normal. i do not think mine has anything up there except the board itself.

i have only had three break in fires and one normal fire, but the glass is clean and there is no buildup on it except a very small amount on the lower two corners.

the link that was provided above talks about brick on top of the baffle. is that normal. i do not think mine has anything up there except the board itself.

Your baffle is different from mine i am pretty sure i think your burn tubes can be removed mine are welded in.

Status
Not open for further replies.