Help finding the correct relay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atgreene

Aug 4, 2008
Sebago, Maine
I am looking to place a relay into my wood boiler/oil boiler operation to prevent the oil burner from coming on whenever the wood boiler circulator is running.

Here's the problem: My Jensen wood boiler is tied into the loop for my oil boiler. When the wood boiler is not up to temp (140) I have no issues. When it is up to temp and is pumping hot water as it should through the oil boiler the oil boiler still wants to kick on. Obviously, this is not very efficient. I put a switch on my oil boiler right at the boiler so I can manually shut off the oil fired unit but leave all the other controls running. Is there a relay that I could put in there in place of the switch that would normally be closed(?)(making contact) until the control indicates that the temp is up on the wood and would then trip the relay and open the circuit so the burner could not run until the wood boiler lost heat?

I'm fairly handy with this stuff, but most peoples eyes glaze over when I ask. I looked through the Grainger book, but am thouroghly confused. Thank you for any help you can provide. This forum has helped me find out all kinds of ways to better my wood boiler operation. It's a great resource.

Thank you.

It looks like it would work, although it doesn't look like enough amps for the burner itself, but I could run the burner trigger through this perhaps? I'll look at my controls and see if it would work. Thanks so much.

Thanks, I got that far but was uncertain of what exactly I need from there. Some of the choices are above my pay grade %-P , so to speak. I'll do some studying and figure it out. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.