Help finding wood in West PA - seasoned

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MofoG23

Feeling the Heat
Last year we had our first child so I did not get a chance to spend as much time as I would have liked getting wood ready....I still managed to get a tad over 2 cord cut and split last year for the 2011/12 season.

I've talked to just about every damn seller on Craigslist for the Pittsburgh area and no one has truly seasoned wood (split last year). One guy even argued with me that if it was split last year it would be too dry - I would not get any heat from it....seriously....I just hung up and moved on.

Anyways, I was hoping someone from the Western PA area might know of a good source for seasoned wood - 2 cord.

Thanks!

Where are you from in W. PA? If you are near Zelienople there is a guy, don't know him, but he is right accross the street from Veka. This guy's yard is HUGE and fill of a couple dozen cord split and stacked. He may sell it but not sure. If I lived near there and in a pinch, I'd stop and ask!

I heard Big Ben sells seasoned firewood. If you pay a little extra he'll even wear pants when he delivers! ;-P
congrats on the little one.

Thanks BV! I'll post up some pictures later...

We leave near Greentree (between town and the airport basically). At this point, I'd be willing to pick it up myself (I should have a new clutch in big red within the next couple weeks). I have 2+ cord at my parents place who live in Butler, so I'll be making some trips north in about a month...

Yes, already it is getting a bit late to try to get wood dry enough for burning this coming winter.

That if funny when some wood seller claims if it were split last year you would not get any heat from it. :) Too bad I could not invite him over when I burn some 7-8 year old wood and then for him to know I heat all winter long with it would certainly blow his mind.

Type in "firewood" in craigs list pittsburgh. There's a guy/company selling a 10ton dump load for 350 bux. I think this is good?!?!?!

PLAYS WITH FIRE said:
Type in "firewood" in craigs list pittsburgh. There's a guy/company selling a 10ton dump load for 350 bux. I think this is good?!?!?!

I've been doing that..... There are two people selling 10 ton dumps. One of them told me it is fairly green and the other never called back??

Mofo if you need it I got it. I am probably pretty close I live near the airport in moon. How big of a split can you put in the Quadrafire? I cut mine to around 20 inches for my Jotul. I also know a tree service guy in Coraopolis who claims he has tons, like 100 cords, I have around 20. Mine is mostly Oak, Locust, Cherry some Beech, Maple and Sassafrass.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Mofo if you need it I got it. I am probably pretty close I live near the airport in moon. How big of a split can you put in the Quadrafire? I cut mine to around 20 inches for my Jotul. I also know a tree service guy in Coraopolis who claims he has tons, like 100 cords, I have around 20. Mine is mostly Oak, Locust, Cherry some Beech, Maple and Sassafrass.

I would be a great debt to you... :)

My stove actually takes 18" splits, but I could cut them down....I'd rather cut down seasoned wood than try to burn non-seasoned.

I'll send you a PM with my info.

Had to run up to Zelienople and got the guys number 724-452-6176 he delivers and he said cord price is 245 delivered, I think...

GolfandWoodNut said:

Golf, you are a true gentleman. Shoot, I would take some of that sassafras just because I love that wood so much. It is the sweetest smelling wood there is.

Backwoods Savage said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Golf, you are a true gentleman. Shoot, I would take some of that sassafras just because I love that wood so much. It is the sweetest smelling wood there is.

Dennis, the roots smell the best, I have been clearing some land for the pole barn (material showed up today) and the roots smell sweet. The wood is not the greatest to burn and you have to watch on a fire pit, it pops like crazy, but you feel like a hee man when you go to split it, it splits really easy. You are welcom to all you want, for some reason I have tons here, bigger than they are supposed to get. If you are ever on one of your bike trips swing by.

How much do you think I could haul on this?

CA-2.jpg

Ours usually don't get very big either. If you luck out and find some that is straight (tough to find around here) they can make good fence posts and will last quite some time even without treating them. I still love the smell as I'm cutting them but you are right about the roots. You make the tea from the roots.

Backwoods Savage said:
How much do you think I could haul on this?

CA-2.jpg

Ours usually don't get very big either. If you luck out and find some that is straight (tough to find around here) they can make good fence posts and will last quite some time even without treating them. I still love the smell as I'm cutting them but you are right about the roots. You make the tea from the roots.

Are those things comfortable, they do look strange. I imagine coming to a stop and putting your leg down is alot tougher than the regular style bike.

I was wondering the same on the bike...

Are they comfortable? Absolutely. I can no longer ride a regular diamond frame bike because of pain in various areas of my body. However, riding this thing is basically pain free.

Imagine if you can, sitting down in a lazy-boy and leaning back while watching tv. That is basically the position I am in while riding. Most of my body weight is not on my arse but is spread from my backside up to the shoulders. You can see there is a thick foam pad to sit on.

Stopping is, if anything, easier on this bike than on a regular bike. I simply unclip my feet and sit up while applying the brake. When I am stopped I have both feet on the ground while sitting on the seat so it is much better than the DF bike.

Starting is more difficult until you get the hang of it. For sure when you first ride one it is almost as if you are learning how to ride a bike like you did when you were a kid. However, there are a few little tricks to help the beginner and the learning curve is pretty darned short.

Generally these bikes are faster on the flats and going into the wind and super fast on downhills. However, they are slower on going up those hills. Typically many will pass the recumbents on the uphill but the bents will fly past them on the downhill. Of course, much of this is very dependent upon the engine and the engine on my bike needs a complete overhaul....

Perhaps the thing that most people would notice first is the sore backside. Let's face it, riding on that little saddle can make your backside very sore. You will not experience this on a recumbent! In addition, riding a regular bike requires you to bend forward and that causes you to have to actually look up or else stare at your front tire. The recumbent is the opposite. It is one of the very first things that amazed me when I got a recumbent in that I could see more of the countryside rather than just the road.

Speaking of making one sore, I'll tell a little story that I told last summer. It was a hot day and I left home sometime during mid morning or late morning. It was a long ride. I stopped for something to eat around noon and maybe 2 hours later passed an ice cream store and bought a cone. I made a couple other stops including one to visit my niece but she was not home. I needed water so just got some from an outdoor faucet. That water was terrible!!! So I rode maybe 20 miles from there and stopped at a gas station and bought 2 cans of Red Bull. I was 15 miles from home at that point and that got me home in good shape. Total miles that day was just a tad over 100.

When I pulled into our driveway a neighbor was there with his tractor to push over a couple dead pine trees that were right by the power line. He could not get one pushed over as it was too big. So here I was, just finished a 100 mile bike ride and in my sweaty bike clothing and I got out the chain saw to saw the tree while he kept it from falling on the power line.

How many would be out running a chain saw after riding a bike 100 miles on a hot day? I have to admit, I felt like I could have easily rode another 50 miles that day and I was not sore at all the next day. That is a big benefit of riding a recumbent bike.

I hope this answers a little bit. btw, I just returned from a 20 mile ride in the sauna. Man it is humid out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.