help, firebox vent opening too far out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
hi, i am in middle of installing my stove insert.
everything looked all right untill i put the firebox in the fireplace.
The firebox vent openning is too far out from the liner. i think i need some kind of elbow to connect them.

however, it doesn't look a regular 30 or 45 degree elbow will do the job. I almost need something shape like this

liner

__________| |
| __________|
| |
| |
firebox venting

Does any one know where i can find such connector?

Thanks a lot.

Thanks a lot. This looks exactly what i need.
The price is a little steep though. But i guess i have no other option.

Thanks again.

Hogwildz said:
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=64

Can you cut the old fireplace damper area out a lil to give a more straight shot to the stove outlet?
Thats what I and many others here have done.

My damper was cut out (and FP properly tagged as "modified" ;-) )

Install was mucho easier after that.

I kind hesitate to cut the damper area. sigh.
Anyone has experience using this adaptor? will it affect draft?

jie said:
I think a couple members are using one. Obviously it can make for a pain in the arse to clean when sweeping the chimney.
Maybe get a small vacuum hose to the inside end and suck the crap out.

i measured my fireplace again. Even i cut out the damper area, it doesn't look it will solve the problem.
The firebox can only go inside the fireplace at that depth otherwise the surround can't be installed properly.

Looks like this is the only option.

i didn't even think of the cleaning job. That's a very good point.

Hogwildz said:
jie said:
I think a couple members are using one. Obviously it can make for a pain in the arse to clean when sweeping the chimney.
Maybe get a small vacuum hose to the inside end and suck the crap out.

after buying all kinds of components and accessories, the parts cost is even greater than the dealer charges.
shaking head. But it is surely a fun exercise.

How deep is that firebox?
How far away is the stove outlet from the liner?
Sounds like ya got a lil insert for a big fireplace?

the distance between outlet and liner is about 6 inch.
The firebox is almost perfect fit for the fireplace. But somehow my fireplace has a very deep top front cover(smaller damper area thus). So the liner can only stick out that much. so the gap seems inevitable.

i know why my fireplace gives me such a headache. Becasue it has a 3 inch thick stone surface.

Anyone uses the so called adjustable offset insert adaptor? How does it affect draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.