Help! First fire not going well

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claybe

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2008
Colorado
I just got the blaze king installed and lit it up per the instructions. I got 4 splits in it and it got to active so I closed the bypass and left it on high per instructions. Then the thing starts smoking bad. I turned it down to medium and the catalytic gauge keeps getting higher. So I turn it to low and it keeps getting higher and smoking more. So it is at low with the bypass closed and the catalytic gauge is all the way out of the active zone on the high side and the house is still smokey. The installers used a some kind of goo to seal the stainless junction to the stove. Could that be where the smoke is coming from??? Help!!!

Okay the catalytic thermometer is back in the active zone. The fire is "out" but I still have this sink and smoke issue.

It could be the goo and the paint itself curing. You can get a little smoke from that. The cat going higher as you turn it down is nothing to worry about. Does it smell like wood smoke or a chemical type odor?

Reactions: Beer Belly
The more smoke the wood gives off the more smoke your catalytic converters is eating so it should go higher, turn it down quicker so it doesnt get away from you at the beginning.
The other smoke may be the oils and paint burning off lie Waulie says.

Status
Not open for further replies.