Help, first time with a fireplace!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papatony

Oct 31, 2010
northern MN
I have never had experience with a fireplace until i moved into this mobile home with one built in. I have been using it a little without any problems but now a neighbor came by and told me the cone in the cap is upside down. The cap has a cone shaped piece in it that is "pointing" down like a funnel but is inclosed inside the overall cap. First i'm not sure if he is correct and second if he is how would i get inside the enclosed cap to turn it around?

A picture is worth 1000 words.

pen

Sorry, I hope this works.

Attachments

• cap 2.jpg
    cap 2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 158
Is the "cone" attached with say three little legs? If so it may be a diffuser or some such thing. Your friend may be thinking of the "china hat" style cap, the cone would sit the other way. If you look at it and it is attached, not loose, I would say to leave it alone. The whole set up looks like a standard vent cap with a spark arrest...

It apears to be permently attached, not by screws but solid to the base part. I'm not sure you could do anything with it different but he is two trailers away and is worried that I am going to burn down the whole park because it is wrong and is going to cause build up in the chimney. I did look at his and his also has a cone shaped piece in it that points the other way (points up) i guess we just have different types of caps???

Attachments

• close1.jpg
    close1.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 166
  • close2.jpg
    close2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 165
I think you are right, different types of caps. I don't see anything there that looks as though you could secure that too if you were to turn it around.

pen

Take the cap and screen off. Then you will have a steam engine choo choo (locomotive).

Status
Not open for further replies.