help for pipe install please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike56

Aug 13, 2010
broad brook,ct
does anyone think this will work or am i better off just going through the roof

Attachments

• STOVE PIPE 1.bmp
    576.1 KB · Views: 1,279
Hi Mike,

I'm no expert but I think you should include more information.

First, what make/model stove is this for ?

You also need to specify how many horizontal feet of pipe, how many vertical feet, and how many elbows will be used so people here can tell you if it is possible or not.

I think I see 4 90º's. So you will need 4" pipe right off the bat. Anyway to reduce it to 1 Tee and 1 90º?

I personally don't like the looks of that....only counting the 90's, you have an EVL of 20, and if I make an educated guess on the lengths of the other pipes, I think you're talking an overall EVL of about 35.....not good. Most stove manufacturers recommend NO MORE than 2 90 degree bends total in any exhaust set-up.

Even increasing to 4" pipe, I think the stove will have a hard time pushing through all that, even when it's perfectly clean.......not to mention once the exhaust blower and all the horizontal pipe starts building-up ash.

IMO, go straight up through the roof.

How would you clean something like that? Not that you would have to cean it every year. I think I would run it as straight as poosble and through the roof.

CALJREICH said:
How would you clean something like that? Not that you would have to clean it every year. I think I would run it as straight as possible and through the roof.

Why would you NOT clean your pellet vent AT LEAST ONCE every year?

Oh the horozontal run across the rafters in the attic, The four 90 degree turns , it will be like reinstalling it every time you clean it. I was being sarcastic. If you are going to install a pipe then do it withn 2 or less 90 degree turns and keep in mind you will need to clean it on a regular basis. The drawing looks like a method to trap as much creesote as possible. Not to mention a total tare apart to clean. Not what I would want.

Status
Not open for further replies.