Help! Found a stove I like but trying to figure how to have one at all in my fireplace..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

billfish

Jan 25, 2010
Norwood, MA
Thanks to all for the great forum and posts.. They have helped direct me towards an insert that I think will work well in my recently purchased 1300sq/ft ranch and make both my wife and I happy with its looks and capabilities. the Jotul Rockland is it. I THINK

That being said I need help comign up with 2 solutions prior to purchasing and having an installer putting it in;

1. Jotul sells an extended surround for their inserts (44" wide x 34" high). My opening though is 44.5" wide.. Can I build up the edge of each side with some mortar to have the surround just overlap?
Is the surround just an aesthetic, or does it need to overlap to be functional at all?

2. AND THE BIG ONE.. I have a large hearth on the fireplace, 18" high. Leaves a current 36" from hearth to the bottom of my 3" mantle.. The Jotul manual says a minimum of 51 3/4" or 42" from bottom(with "Mantel Heat Shield") is required for the stove. Top of mantel with heat shield should be 48"
http://www.yankeefireplace.com/uploads/products/documents/jotul_rockland_insert.pdf

So this means I have to raise the mantle 12" up to top, and make it (a new one) 6" .. SEE DIAGRAM.. leaves me wwith 6" of my current wood panel. I could come up with a 12" high mantel as well I suppose..

So my questions are:
*Anyone have this same problem?
*Any good ideas, any pictures of solutions?
*Are these absolute measurements , or "suggestions" ?
*Will my fire inspector check the heights to be exact?

I currently have a TV about the mantel which I will remove as it will just get too high to view with this alteration (yes in addition to the concern over heat)..

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• JotulFireplace.jpg
    JotulFireplace.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 255
Update on the surround. Looks like Lopi has a larger surround of 46" wide that would cover my44.5" opening. Anyone confirm that?

Trying to understand some of your figures: You state you have a 18" hearth but your drawing seems to indicate not an 18" hearth but an existing fireplace with the floor of the firebox 18" above the floor. Am I understanding this is 18" above the floor correctly?

Shari

Exactly, I may be using the wrong wording.. The base of the existing box is 18" above the floor..

Thanks!

I can't address all your questions but will attempt an opinion on these two:

*Are these absolute measurements , or “suggestions” ? These are 'manufactures specifications.

*Will my fire inspector check the heights to be exact? Well, around here, our inspector defers to manufactures specifications. If you are asking if your inspector will allow a variance of 1/2" to manufacturers specs, I dunno. Check with your local authority.

EDIT: After checking with your local authority to see if they will allow any variation to manufacturers specs then go check with your homeowners insurance so see i THEY will accept the same variation.

Shari

Thanks for your input! Talked to a local store who said my solution would be a mantel with a heat deflector under it. That is what I am currently researching

Status
Not open for further replies.