Help freezing family...Profile 20 issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lou

Feb 2, 2013
morning all...

I have a question that i'm hoping you xperts out there can assist with.

i have had my profile 20 for about 12 years now and i must i have been soo please with its performance. Throughout the years i have only and 2 igniters go and one exhaust blower all else has been great...which now leads me to my question.

This past off season i cleaned as i do ever year (use to have someone out to do it the first few years) and all was good as normal.About a month or so into the season of burning i noticed that the temp on the thermostat would drop but the stove stayed steady working. i then would turn down the stat and turn back on (which would turn off stove and then restart) and i would get a clicking sound and my control board would blink. I thought odd but i turned it off and on again and all was good. This has happened a few times now this season and i thought to myself oh boy time to look into a replacement.

Well this morning same thing happen this time stove wouldn't turn on...and sure enough its in the low teens for a temp today. ANy thoughts you folks might have would be greatly appreciated as i'm freesing my arse off at the moment...

Thank you all in advance!!

can you try running it without the T-stat? just to see if it is the T-stat that is the problem.

What kind of t-stat is it?

If it takes batteries when were they last replaced?

Has anything been done around the t-stat wiring?

Have you called the manufacturer about a new Thermostat ? In the mean time pick up a electric space heater and close the doors to a room if you have to in order to stay warm. Like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell...-Heater-w-Remote-Control-HZ-445R-WMT/21666112 we have a similar one and that thing will cook your britches off !

Pete
I haven't called anyone today...i was able to get the stove up and running.

The stat does not have any batteries so no need to change, i did mess around and make sure all the wiring was connected properly and still no go. i then stopped messing around with it and came back about 10 min later and tried to turn it on and it kicked right on...it's still running and i have cranked it up so i can stay warm incase it does go on the fritz again.

can you try running it without the T-stat? just to see if it is the T-stat that is the problem.

Not sure how to turn it on without the stat, no button option that says start auger (SP)...that would be helpful if anyone does know??

Good morning Lou, you certainly can try running the stove without the t-stat. The wires for the t-stat plug in in the back of the stove next to where the power cord plugs in. You can simply disconnect the t-stat wires and you will need to add a short wire to connect the two t-stat terminals on the stove.

Page 10 in the installation manual says to replace the thermostat wire with a jumper if you are going to manually fire the stove.

Then your on/off switch will act as the start switch.

You might want to check your photo eye for dirt or anything between it and the fire pot that can block the system from seeing a fire in the pot.

If the stove isn't delivering pellets to the pot you need to do a good cleaning that includes the vacuum hose and barb at the stove end.

Reactions: Delta-T
<--is a big fan of removing thermostat when gremlins appear. you'd be surprised how often the thermostat is the source of the problem.

Reactions: CJ_starr
When I installed my Montage i did not want to use a thermostat. My wife insisted that I install it, so I did and the stove turns on and off alot during the day. Like Delta-T stated, I am also not a fan.

Page 10 in the installation manual says to replace the thermostat wire with a jumper if you are going to manually fire the stove.

Then your on/off switch will act as the start switch.

You might want to check your photo eye for dirt or anything between it and the fire pot that can block the system from seeing a fire in the pot.

If the stove isn't delivering pellets to the pot you need to do a good cleaning that includes the vacuum hose and barb at the stove end.

great info to have on the jumper wire...where can i find the manual your refering to? Like i said i really never had any issues with this stove in 12 years so it might b good to have heading into these later years. Anyone have a rough estimate on how long these stove actually last, wondering if i really do need to start shopping for a new stove or not (currently looking as quadrafire Sante Fe)?

i'm sure the manual alos shows where the photo eye is so i can check that out...

man i love this site already!! you guys (gals) are a great help!!

lou

great info to have on the jumper wire...where can i find the manual your refering to? Like i said i really never had any issues with this stove in 12 years so it might b good to have heading into these later years. Anyone have a rough estimate on how long these stove actually last, wondering if i really do need to start shopping for a new stove or not (currently looking as quadrafire Sante Fe)?

i'm sure the manual alos shows where the photo eye is so i can check that out...

man i love this site already!! you guys (gals) are a great help!!

lou

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Tqqo99jXUDlaybIZxACUgpg&bvm=bv.41867550,d.dmQ

Status
Not open for further replies.