help from eko owners in maine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bernard

Sep 17, 2008
central maine
i just purchased a eko-40 i have been told because it is not u.l.approved alicensed plumber can not legally install it has anybody else ran into this problem . what about the insurance company....thanks

It typically would not be the plumber but the local codes that determine whether or not UL is required. Some cities require UL, others do not. You should call your building inspector to ask if it is a requirement. If it's not, get a permit and the plumbers should not worry. If it is required you'll either need to go without a permit or trade your EKO in for a Tarm.

I know of some folks that have done this work without a permit and had it inspected by a third party. With this they were able to notify their insurance carrier of the new furnace. My insurance carrier doesn't even ask about whether or not you have a permit. They just want it inspected by a professional...

I talk to Cozy Heat today they said EKO should be getting UL listed at anytime .They just don't know exactly when. Maybe you could get one of the new models when they come out.

I have talked to the State heating inspector for ME and he stated that the TUV certification is recognized in ME. The plumber is operating on old info , the days of UL being the only certifying agency is no longer true.
ss

ssfein said:
I have talked to the State heating inspector for ME and he stated that the TUV certification is recognized in ME. The plumber is operating on old info , the days of UL being the only certifying agency is no longer true.
ss

What's "TUV"?

I've been meaning to respond to this. Just got the word from my installer, he won't install(EKO/Biomass) cause of no UL listing. Called the insurance company and they want UL listing also. I'm trying to keep the ins co happy, cause of the downturn in the economy, (god forbid anything happens) they're going to look for any excuse not to pay.

TUV is the German equivalent of UL or CSA, except much more stringent requirements for the European market. This certification should be enough for the UL or CSA or insurance companies, but it is not.
UL and CSA want to take more money for inspection and approval fees, and the insurance companies want more money all the time. My advice is to keep looking for an insurance company that will cover the unit. Look at insurers that offer rural and farm coverage, as they will have dealt with these types of boilers before. Find an installer who will work with you. If the one you have been talking to doesn't know current acceptance practice for heating units, what else hasn't he been keeping up to date on? Techniques? Codes? I would look to someone else for help.

Just my opinion, after having been down this road for the last few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.