1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help getting info on a wood stove insert

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Terrell, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Terrell

Terrell New Member

Hello everybody I am new to the forum but have been reading a lot of the info posted here. I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the fireplace insert we have. The side plate says it is a brand name Forester??? Maybe ( it is really hard to read) and the front plate says "the performer" but I cant seem to find out anything about them via google. I do know it has a blower and heats up our house very well. Any info would be appreciated.

Also the insert used to be all black with brass knobs if that helps.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Terrell

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    What are you looking to find out?
  3. Terrell

Terrell New Member

Well I guess just anything. Is it an EPA stove or not, what kind of efficiency should it have, if something breaks on it where could I look for replacement parts, or is there anything I should know about it to make it more efficient. Maybe even what kind of lifespan I am looking at to know when I should start saving for a replacement.

Thanks
  4. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    Here's the freestanding Forester stove from my 'Fisher Clone' file. Same draft caps as yours. Many mfg. went out of business in 1988 due to stricter emission standards. Is there a readable date on the tag?

Forester 1.jpg Forester 2.jpg
  5. Terrell

Terrell New Member

Unfortunately not. some moron painted the whole thing when it was first bought at the direction of his wife. If he had any sense at all he would have taped it off first.
  6. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA
    Buck made some models like that, does it have a CAT?
  7. Terrell

Terrell New Member

What is a CAT?
  8. Terrell

Terrell New Member

Alright, after more research and learning that a CAT is a Catalyst I now know that it does not have a CAT. It is just a simple insert with a fairly small firebox, a blower, and air chambers on the top and sides.