Help - Heat rising!! Me no warm

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joemat

Jul 23, 2008
NJ
I had a Quadrafire Castile insert installed in my 2-story family room. The stove works great, pumps out heat, but as physics has it, it goes straight up to the high ceiling. My ceiling fan does not seem to do a good job at returning the warmth. 10 feet away from the stove, my remote thermostat reads 66 degrees!! While I never intended this stove to be a main heat source for my home, I was hoping that it would help warm-up a historically cool room in the house.

Regards,
Joe

you have the ceiling fan on reverse, so it is blowing "up" and running at a fast enough speed? As you probably know, this forces warm air along the ceiling and back down the walls, and can make a dramatic difference. Is there another area where heat can escape at the top of the room?

Try the fan in the downward position and at a slow speed, after the stove has run sufficiently to heat the space. While every home is different; it works in some.

There is a lot of discussion in the many threads on ceiling fans, their use, direction, etc. here on Hearth.com. Searching the forums may give you a lot of additional background, and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.