Help! How do I get this going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessj_10

Oct 4, 2015
Tennessee
I recently bought a house and there's a (earth stove) pellet stove already installed. I have never used one of these and really need someone to walk me through how this stove works. I have attached picture of the stove that I have. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20151004_225445.jpg
    20151004_225445.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 211
  • 20151004_225520.jpg
    20151004_225520.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 222
first before messing with it i would try to find a manual for it , is that a fuseholder or probe below the knob there 2nd pic

It's a fuse. I actually have a manual but to be honest is not very helpful. It tells me how to do things step by step BUT uses the terms such as "the hopper" and "firepot" as if I should know what those are. It gives no description as to what those terms mean.

I recently bought a house and there's a (earth stove) pellet stove already installed. I have never used one of these and really need someone to walk me through how this stove works. I have attached picture of the stove that I have. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I think I can figure it out, I am really most concerned about how to start the fire itself. How do I add fuel and what type of fuel? If so, where do I add it?

Did a search on "earth stove" and the link below has the results. Read through the posts and you can PM some of the owners for assistance as needed.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/60090830/?q=Earth+stove&o=date&c[node]=14

Reactions: Jessj_10
No offense but if you can't figure out what a "hopper" and "firebox" are I don't think this is th type of stove for you, especially an older model that may need repair and troubleshooting and defiantly will need cleaning.

However, the firebox is where the pellets burn, and I he hopper is where wood pellets are dumped in and feed through an augur into the but pot. Go to homedepot or lowes for pellets and they will also have the starting gel to start the fire.

Get a spark bucket and trim yer bush ................

In your first picture, see the gold knob at the top? That is the door to your hopper (where you pour the pellets in). You may have to twist it before the door will open (maybe just have to pull hard though). I suggest that when you are ready to try your hand, you only put in a couple of cups of pellets (maybe a mixing bowl full). That way if things aren't quite kosher, there isn't much to burn. Take a look at this simple picture http://img.bhs4.com/fd/9/fd96cf236afd081266b64e385bb61d905c5658a5_large.jpg - it isn't your stove but should give you a general idea of some of the stove terminology.

If you open the door in front, the firepot will be inside. I am unfamiliar with your stove, but I would assume it is centered to the door and may even have some pellets left there and should look something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Pellet_Stove_burn_pot.jpg

Once you look at the diagram and familiarize yourself with the terminology, try looking at the manual again. Hope this helps and good luck!

Yeah read this one instead of mine hahaha.

In your first picture, see the gold knob at the top? That is the door to your hopper (where you pour the pellets in). You may have to twist it before the door will open (maybe just have to pull hard though). I suggest that when you are ready to try your hand, you only put in a couple of cups of pellets (maybe a mixing bowl full). That way if things aren't quite kosher, there isn't much to burn. Take a look at this simple picture http://img.bhs4.com/fd/9/fd96cf236afd081266b64e385bb61d905c5658a5_large.jpg - it isn't your stove but should give you a general idea of some of the stove terminology.

If you open the door in front, the firepot will be inside. I am unfamiliar with your stove, but I would assume it is centered to the door and may even have some pellets left there and should look something like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f2/Pellet_Stove_burn_pot.jpg

Once you look at the diagram and familiarize yourself with the terminology, try looking at the manual again. Hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: bogieb
pellet stoves are not ultimately that complicated. but as someone brand new to them, and perhaps still thinking they are a no maintenance plug and play type of appliance, i can completely understand feeling overwhelmed.

just because this person doesn't at this point know the parts and their functions does not mean they can't or won't learn.
someone will either learn and use the good advice given or they won't.
but in my opinion that is for them to determine.
ours is to be helpful and encouraging if we can.

i agree with whoever said "play nice"

Reactions: The Ds and bogieb
Jess,

First off welcome to the forum...Lots of great info here and most are more than willing to help someone out.

On the main Hearth.com home page is the Main Articles link. About middle of right side of page.

Hit that and then scan down to Pellet/Corn/Biomass Appliances.
There you will find a bunch of basic info articles that might help you out

Here is a quick picture labeling the various Pellet stove parts.
View is from front of stove.

pelletcut.gif

Basically there are two air movement systems in the stove.
Combustion (the Fuel and fire side) and Convection (The turn the cold air into warm air)

Basically fuel (Wood Pellets) are stored in the hopper. At the bottom of the hopper is a screw auger that "lifts" the fuel up so that it can fall into the fire box where it feeds a burning fire. Exhaust gasses are circulated past some heat exchanger tubes and are sucked out to the "Venting" pipe to outside via an exhaust blower. There are some electronic controls to keep all of this continuing safely and efficiently.

The Convection Blower takes "Colder" room air and pumps it thru the inside of the heat exchanger tubes and makes it hot(er). Dispersing it into your living space.

Most modern stoves use an electric igniter to start the initial fire but they can also be started manually using starting gel or a propane torch.

Newer stoves control almost all aspects of the burn cycle regulating blower speeds, fuel feed rates, and even are run on thermostats. Older stoves rely on temperature snap disks and manual controls. Nothing wrong with either its just a matter of convenience. More "bells and whistles"

Hope that gets you started.
Good Luck,
---Nailer---

Last edited:
Jessj10, Welcome to the forum ... sorry about the few less than helpful comments. Some people forget that they were once new to burning pellets too. Most folks are friendly and will try to help you troubleshoot problems. Probably the best thing you can do is to clean the stove and venting first. Did the previous home owners give you any information on when it was last cleaned? This allows you to start out fresh while learning the parts of the pellet stove... Always unplug first when cleaning and working inside!

Not trying to scare you but, you should have a smoke detector, CO monitor and fire extinguisher handy. Stoves should have surge protection.

Keep us posted on your progress. Will try to find a good you tube that may help you out...

Reactions: bogieb and Jessj_10

Thank you so much! I have already bought pellets for it. I have figured out most of the layout but wasn't sure where to start. I just would rather be sure about something before I try it out, considering it could be dangerous if not done right. Thanks again for your help.

Reactions: bogieb
Jessj10, Welcome to the forum ... sorry about the few less than helpful comments. Some people forget that they were once new to burning pellets too. Most folks are friendly and will try to help you troubleshoot problems. Probably the best thing you can do is to clean the stove and venting first. Did the previous home owners give you any information on when it was last cleaned? This allows you to start out fresh while learning the parts of the pellet stove... Always unplug first when cleaning and working inside!

Not trying to scare you but, you should have a smoke detector, CO monitor and fire extinguisher handy. Stoves should have surge protection.

Keep us posted on your progress. Will try to find a good you tube that may help you out...

Thank you. I don't pay any attention to people like that lol I'd rather be safe then sorry. I have a 2 year old son and I'm not going to put him in danger by messing with something I know nothing about. Thanks again.

No offense but if you can't figure out what a "hopper" and "firebox" are I don't think this is th type of stove for you, especially an older model that may need repair and troubleshooting and defiantly will need cleaning.

However, the firebox is where the pellets burn, and I he hopper is where wood pellets are dumped in and feed through an augur into the but pot. Go to homedepot or lowes for pellets and they will also have the starting gel to start the fire.

Jason, first off I CAN and DID figure out what they were, I just wanted to make sure before jumping into something I've never used. It's actually a smart idea to ask questions when dealing with something that could be dangerous. I don't know about you, but if I'm not 100 percent sure about something (especially if it's something that could be potentially dangerous to my family) I'm going to find out before taking chances.I have the pellets, and everything needed. I just simpley needed to know how to get it started, and how it works. BTW the stove is in excellent working condition, as I have the maintenance records. Maybe you should reread the question, since that wasnt part of it. It was really unnecessary for you to be rude. Thanks for your "concern"

Thank you. I don't pay any attention to people like that lol I'd rather be safe then sorry. I have a 2 year old son and I'm not going to put him in danger by messing with something I know nothing about. Thanks again.

Now that you have filling and start-up conquered ... you need to learn what is needed for cleaning.==c Can't seem to find a manual to help walk you through it ... only ones out there have a fee;hm

PS ... I can see why you want to be careful .... He's a cutie!

Reactions: The Ds
Status
Not open for further replies.