HELP - I want to make my fireplace work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SCLB94

Nov 1, 2013
Southern California
Hello,
I am new to the forum and am hoping that I can find some advice on my fireplace. I have already called multiple contractors who charge me to come out and look at it, then tell me it is going to cost $8,000 plus to fix.
I recently purchased this home which has a fireplace in the back room. The fireplace, at one point, was a built-in brick BBQ. After this was enclosed it was converted to a fireplace. When I purchased the home it was already set up for a gas log system, which I do not want. I want to be able to burn wood in this fireplace.
Here is what I know so far, which I will also attach some images for reference.
The chimney and firebox is all brick, which I was told I need to repair.
The chimney does not have a damper
The chimney does not have a cap.
I know that I need to raise the level of the chimney somewhat.
From the firebox to the top of the chimney, it is nearly straight up, I do not see any type of smoke shelf.
The inside of the chimney and the top have been capped.
Here is what I would like to do.
Install new insert into firebox. I believe this would have to be custom since I have to work with what I have. I did try looking for somewhere to buy these but could not find anything. All the ones I saw where too big to fit in my fireplace.
Install new flue using metal duct to the top, so I do not have to repair the brick.
Install damper and spark arrestor. I am hoping that a new firebox would have the damper installed in it already.
Any help would be great.
I do think that I can do this myself, however I can not find enough information to be comfortable with it. I do not want to risk a fire in my house.
Thank you
Steven

Attachments

• Fireplace.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
Steven,

There are many solutions to your problem, but I must ask, what is your aim? Is this to be primary heat? Backup heat? Ambience only?

My fireplaces and chimneys fit your description, stone fireboxes and un-lined chimneys in need of repair, no dampers, no smoke shelves... just makes it easier to install an insert or free-standing stove, with an appropriate block-off plate and liner. In essence, you have the perfect outfit for converting to an EPA burner.

Have you looked at modern stove inserts? Your firebox might be too small to set a freestanding stove in it (you could always set a free-standing stove in front), but you should really check out the photo gallery for some ideas:

https://www.hearth.com/gall/main.php

Steven,

There are many solutions to your problem, but I must ask, what is your aim? Is this to be primary heat? Backup heat? Ambience only?

My fireplaces and chimneys fit your description, stone fireboxes and un-lined chimneys in need of repair, no dampers, no smoke shelves... just makes it easier to install an insert or free-standing stove, with an appropriate block-off plate and liner. In essence, you have the perfect outfit for converting to an EPA burner.

Have you looked at modern stove inserts? Your firebox might be too small to set a freestanding stove in it (you could always set a free-standing stove in front), but you should really check out the photo gallery for some ideas:

https://www.hearth.com/gall/main.php

Thank you. I would like to get some heat from this but I would not be relying on it as my primary heat. I do like the insert option as I would not be able to fit a freestanding stove in it. Also, the opening is about 3 feet off the ground. Your idea sounds like exactly what I am looking to do.

Thanks again

Do you have pictures? what is the size of the fireplace opening? Could you place a hearth stove or free standing stove in front of it? There are lots of options for far less then 8K.

Status
Not open for further replies.