Help ID Portland stove foundry stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctmike

Jul 25, 2009
Central CT
Hello,
I just signed up to see if people can provide any help with information about this stove (since the company is out of business), mainly when it was made. It was made by the Portland Stove Foundry and I'm guessing it's a #19 whatever that means. It is in many places on the stove. We used to use it when I was a kid but now it's just for show since it cracked

Thanks for any help
Mike

Attachments

• woodstove1.jpg
    woodstove1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,060
  • woodstove2.jpg
    woodstove2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,140
  • woodstove3.jpg
    woodstove3.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,037
  • woodstove4.jpg
    woodstove4.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,140
Thats known as a parlor stove, and I am guessing it is between 120 to 135 years old. It can be repaired by the way. Looks like it has indirect draft as well, which would make it reasonably efficent, and throw a ton of heat. I just noticed the boot rail and glove warmer are missing, which reduces it value quite a bit.

Dunebilly,
Thanks for the reply and I guess I knew it was a parlor stove because of the sculpting. Do you know of another site or where I might get a better manufacture date?(there must be info out there) This thing would throw so much heat that you couldn't stay in the same room, much more than the new insert my dad bought as a replacement. I'm not too concerned with the market value as it's a family heirloom and don't recall ever seeing the boot strap or glove warmer when it was in my grandparents house so it probably got lost before they got it. I've read mixed thoughts on repairing cast iron and not sure I'd want to continue to use. I have a newer wood stove for heating

BrotherBart said:
Contact Joe and Bea Bryant. I bet they know all about that stove.

http://www.bryantstove.com/

This be true. I couldn't think of her name last night.

OP: not to get argumentative or anything, but stove plate can and is repaired all the time. I am sure there are some who are against it, as I am equaly sure that there have been plently of attempts made by poorly skilled welders who had no business taking the job in the first place.

I know a good welder could fix it but there is more than just the crack that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my house. I emailed Donna and she said it was made from 1890-1930

is bryant stove works still in business?i

i live about 30 miles from there, and have an old glenwood parlor stove . the back is cracked bad , and have thought about having it restored or get a reproduction back. i did call there once but they had nothing for my stove, and the last i heard, they were out of business. i dont know for sure, that's why i am posting

mike

the stove i have looks very much like this, and the copper and nickel water pot are intact:

Attachments

• antique glenwood.jpg
    antique glenwood.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 755
mjbrown65 said:
is bryant stove works still in business?i

i live about 30 miles from there, and have an old glenwood parlor stove . the back is cracked bad , and have thought about having it restored or get a reproduction back. i did call there once but they had nothing for my stove, and the last i heard, they were out of business. i dont know for sure, that's why i am posting

mike

the stove i have looks very much like this, and the copper and nickel water pot are intact:

I'm pretty sure they are still in business . . . I'm pretty sure they are still selling some old stoves. I would assume they might be fixing them too. I do know they're getting up there in age and a few years back there was some issues with the State Fire Marshal determining what their occupancy was classified as resulting in some changes to the place . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.