1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Help ID this insert?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by zufrieden, Oct 26, 2011.

1. zufrieden

zufrieden New Member

Loc:
    SE Wisconsin
    :grrr: I am new to the forum and new to wood heating. We just moved and there is a insert in the fireplace. The tags have been painted over and I can't locate any type of ID on it anywhere. I hope someone can tell me what this insert is and how best to operate to get the longest burn time on our wood.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    Looks like a Buck knock-off. Don't know though. There were a lot of them back when that one was built!.
  3. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Get some xylene or other paint remover and wipe the tag off. THey're usually stamped so you'll still beable to read it.
  4. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    What is the slanted piece on top?
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The Mr Fusion port!
  6. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    AH Ha!

Now THAT is a SQuire Stove - Squire Insert! I sold a heck of a lot of those babies. Blower is in a slip-out drawer underneath.

The damper did say Squire - but that was a small insert which might have feel off.

Anyway, that is the closest I can get. Squire by Cox Manufacturing -
    http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/23703
  7. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    The damper handle.
  8. zufrieden

zufrieden New Member

Loc:
    SE Wisconsin
    The slanted piece is the damper handle. I took the tag off and cleaned the paint off. It reads: Caution! may be hot while in operation. May cause severe burns! Do NOT touch. Danger! FIRE!
  9. zufrieden

zufrieden New Member

Loc:
    SE Wisconsin
    THANKS! Now I just need to research and figure out how to make my wood last a little longer. Thanks for the help. I've learned alot already. BTW, any original fan motors laying around? The motor was making some noise, so I got the replacement. It is an inch taller, so the diverter plate on top doesn't fit right. Now the fan will shut down when it should be running. I'm looking at a way to alter the plate and make it fit.