Help ID this nut bearing tree.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omaha419

Burning Hunk
Jul 19, 2015
Falling Waters, WV
2acfcb51a9df12ea721a1b2ff5351821.jpg
250ddf603f235ac2245a111d399cc89e.jpg
9bba21bbd1b70cceb94e9cbe1463d682.jpg

Taking a walk through the neighborhood, and came across this tree which is dropping a ton of these nuts on the ground. What kind of tree is this? Found near Baltimore Maryland.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like a hickory nut to me.

Reactions: Omaha419
Hickory for sure. A pic of the bark may help identify which type. The nuts are tasty like pecans, just a lot of work.

I should have said that most types of hickory nuts are tasty. Bitternut, as the name states, will make your mouth turn inside out. Shagbark has the best tasting in my opinion but really a lot of work.

Its hickory. If you pick up the nuts that the outer shell has come off. You can throw a hand full on the coals, when cooking on the grill, for good hickory smoke flavor.

Check out mockernut hickory, I think it is that one....

100% Hickory. My yard is full of shag bark hickory. The leaves and nuts are perfect match.

Nice tree. I have a mockernut in my back yard. The squirrels love it. It's no really messy, either, compared to some trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.