help id

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stocker

Oct 31, 2010
Northwest Indiana
We are out restacking wood and this wood has us baffled...I dont have pics but the bark is falling off only after 6 months and it seems to have thorns on wood but under bark like its there to hold bark in place. The wood is light in color and med in wieght, bark is similar to an oak. Any ideas..

Pictures would help . . . but when folks talk abou thorny wood I usually think black locust . . . is the bark kind of a light yellow color, bark deeply furrowed?

Ive had lots of black locust and never lost bark like this...could it be honey locust? I never seen them before. I mean the insides of them. The bark resembles the oak family.

As Jake said stocker, take some pics and post them and I'm sure you'll get some help. :)

Sounds like elm. Has sharp, what I call starter limbs, under the bark that are very sharp. Bark tends to fall off early as well.

I have a lot of Maple like that, they are some sharp spikes also and I warn the kids about them, they are hidden under the bark and unknown until the bark falls off, bark is dense and heavy also.

stocker said:
Ive had lots of black locust and never lost bark like this...could it be honey locust? I never seen them before. I mean the insides of them. The bark resembles the oak family.

OTOH, YOU could look on the many websites out there with pix of wood species, id it, and then tell us. "Sharing is caring."

Possibility of elm or maple...we had storms last spring and scrounged alot of different types of trees. All I have on my property is oaks, mulberry, sassafras and black locust (darn)..so these are new to me. Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.