help identify class a chimney brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brush

Oct 21, 2015
portland, or
hi folks, i need to replace a ceiling support for our class a chimney -- which is rather in need of a cleaning, but let's ignore that for now. ;)

in terms of id'ing the chimney, the following may be helpful: it's 7" ID, and is the rotate-lock kind, with no screws. it has these studs near the bottom that may be distinctive. pics below. any suggestions? at first blush it kind of looks like the pics of duratech online, but i can't really tell...

DSCN0496.JPG DSCN0493.JPG DSCN0497.JPG DSCN0495.JPG

thanks, all!

Thought at first glane it was the same as my supervent. Checked online no bumps on end of mine plus dont recall seing them when i cleaned it. You cant count that one out

Looks like selkirk, but Selkirk has a clamp now where the joint is. Could be old metalbest?

thanks, so it seems that selkirk (supervent, metalbest, etc.) looks at least generally the same? the chimney is somewhere between 15-30 yrs old, i think, so it could be a previous incarnation. do folks think that a supervent ceiling support would probably work? ie. as long as the basic diameters are correct, the details shouldn't matter too much? (i'll also email selkirk and see if they respond timely.) thanks again!

Im sure if you talk to them their technical people are very good. Maybe send them pics and measurements whats wall thickness 2"?

update: selkirk says it's not theirs, probably "security", which i've never heard of. i've sent an email to their customer service, but anyone have any input on security chimneys, esp. where i might find parts for decent prices, and whether their ceiling supports in specific might possibly be compatible with others? thanks again, everyone!

I was too late.. It's definitely Security chimney. I have the same chimney on my house, it took some research to find out.

I can confirm what webby said it's definitely security. You can order the security pipe and various supports and brackets online as nobody local here carries it, probably same in your area i'm guessing because it's made in canada i believe. If i'm not mistaken it's fairly unique in that the outside diameter is slightly different from most other brands on the market and is not interchangeable. I have security in my house and had to order parts online after doing a quick search. Can't remember the website off hand

Status
Not open for further replies.