"Help" Identify This Firebox/Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodForHeat32

Dec 9, 2015
Washington State
2015-12-08 22.59.10.jpg
Hello everyone!

I'm brand new to the forum and I hope I am posting in the correct place. I recently purchased a new home and it came with a nice insert that is in need of some minor parts before I get her up and running. The problem is, after a through cleaning and partial diassembly, including running over it with a flashlight. I just cannot find a manufacturer name or model/serial number anywhere! It seems to be a quality stove and I'm suprised not to find any type of manufacturing markings on it. It seems to have a bit of a Fisher look to it, but I know absolutely nothing about inserts except how to operate one. If this jumps out to anyone on the site, please feel free to chime in and tell me everything you know!! Thank you so much for any info you may have to offer! I'm looking forward to my time on this site.

Dementions - 25W 20H 27D

Let me know if you need any other pictures or angles.

Craig

pull it out and check the back. there should be a label back there. You want to do that anyway to see if there is a liner hooked to it and check the condition of everything

pull it out and check the back. there should be a label back there. You want to do that anyway to see if there is a liner hooked to it and check the condition of everything

Good morning Bholler, thanks for the fast reply!

Man I was hoping you were not going to say that! I'm guessing this thing is weighing in at an easy 600lbs plus. I will see who I can round up to help and do that today! I did clean the chimney from the top and there is a liner, but you are correct I have no idea what the condition of the liner is down below or if it is even connected. Thanks for the advice and I'll post my findings as soon as I get it out.

Craig

I suppose it's nice to know what your working with but if I had a functioning insert that had been inspected (i.e has a liner and is good to go) there is no way I would pull it to look at a tag. It's a pre-EPA Fisher copy. If everything checks out just burn it until you decide to upgrade to a more efficient model.

@ Rwhite, that was my first thought but knowing what it is as far as ordering parts would be great! Unfortunately pre EPA inserts are going to be illegal in my area next year, so I will be forced to upgrade.

I may follow your advice, as I put out the word today to see if I could get some help getting the insert out and you would be amazed at how many Christmas tree's are being put up on a Wednesday that must be the December excuse to avoid heavy lifting! :)

If I do just burn with it. Do you know if there are any blower options for this unit or will it be enough on its own for a 1900 sf home with 92" high ceilings? Thanks again for the help! I truly appreciate it.

Craig

@ Rwhite, that was my first thought but knowing what it is as far as ordering parts would be great! Unfortunately pre EPA inserts are going to be illegal in my area next year, so I will be forced to upgrade.

I may follow your advice, as I put out the word today to see if I could get some help getting the insert out and you would be amazed at how many Christmas tree's are being put up on a Wednesday that must be the December excuse to avoid heavy lifting! :)

If I do just burn with it. Do you know if there are any blower options for this unit or will it be enough on its own for a 1900 sf home with 92" high ceilings? Thanks again for the help! I truly appreciate it.

Craig

NO grandfather clause or is this the end of the era? I know they disalloed selling them a few years ago. If they are being phased out I would not spend any money on a blower. You can find a used EPA insert for next to the same price. Don't know where your located but I'm on ID and I drove to a few hours to Moscow/Pullman and got mine for $300. They seem to be on craigslist quite a bit. I'd consider a use one before the ban hits and prices skyrocket.

NO grandfather clause or is this the end of the era? I know they disalloed selling them a few years ago. If they are being phased out I would not spend any money on a blower. You can find a used EPA insert for next to the same price. Don't know where your located but I'm on ID and I drove to a few hours to Moscow/Pullman and got mine for $300. They seem to be on craigslist quite a bit. I'd consider a use one before the ban hits and prices skyrocket.

I live in Lakewood Wa, no grandfather clause for us. I think technically they are already illegal here but will not be enforced until next year. I have found a lot of Lopi's around here but that's about it. Changing the insert is at the very bottom of my list currently as I'm remodeling my home but as the enforcement takes place, I'm sure it will move up the list rather quickly.

Good Ole Pullman and Moscow, I've spent quite a bit of time there. You guys get much colder winters than we do over here on the West side.

I've found blower kits on Ebay as cheap as $30 but if the one that fits this unit is more than you would be correct, not worth the investment. Thank you for the helpful advice and quick reply.

Craig

wow I live in Washington and have a fisher insert. so you are saying that's its gonna be illegal to burn with a old school stove

I would assume it depends on which county you live in, just like vehicle emissions but in Pierce County which I live in that is correct. Non EPA inserts and stoves will be illegal and they will start imposing fines.

Now, how they are going to enforce it is the question. I mean it's not like a non EPA is a different color smoke than an EPA! :) Sure there is more of it! Of course there is no ban on an outdoor fire pit as far as I know!!

Well, it's not illegal to have. Just illegal to use. So even when you do sell your house and get it inspected you would be ok. The inspector would inform the buyers I'm sure, but that would be about it! I would definitely not mention the use of the stove when you sell in the event you are in an EPA certified county! I do plan to upgrade here in the near future as the EPA cert stoves make sense for me. I'm pretty sure being on the island that your safer than most, I know some of them are slightly wild west!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.