Help identify this fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlv123

Feb 17, 2015
Asheville nc
20140801_141808.jpg 20140801_142111.jpg
Hope someone can help. We bought this cabin which was built in 1988 and we want to know what type of fireplace it is and what our options are for something that can heat the house better.

Attached are the photos I have.

Thanks

Welcome. Looks like it might be a heatform metal fireplace. You can put in an insert or a free standing stove depending on the fireplace's firebox front and rear dimension.

Welcome. Looks like it might be a heatform metal fireplace. You can put in an insert or a free standing stove depending on the fireplace's firebox front and rear dimension.
Thanks for the reply.
Here are the dimensions
32 wide
26 high
It curves toward the front from the back.
The curve starts at 17 high
The depth is 22, with 16 being metal and the additional 6 being the stone face. At the top of the curve it's 11 deep.

The place is 1100 Sq ft but 24 ft ceiling with a half loft all open.

What are your insert suggestions?

Since this is a vacation house, and we're only there a little bit in winter months, is there any less costly solutions?

I appreciate it. Thanks

The Englander 13 NCi is an affordable insert that looks like it would fit there. It will require a 6" stainless liner. How tall is the chimney?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Englander-1-500-sq-ft-Wood-Burning-Fireplace-Insert-13-NCI/100638341

The chimney is about 28 feet.

I searched and it seems like there are mixed reviews, but how do those grate wall of fire grates work? Our biggest problem is keeping the fire going after we go to sleep.
Would one of those, or something else, make a difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.