Help identify this Napoleon - and is it any good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
My parents just moved back to Maine into a rental with a Napoleon pellet stove.

I'm unable to identify a model number anywhere, as I would like to find the manual online.

Additionally, I would like to know any ins & outs of this stove, what to watch out for, how to run it, what's the best operating mode, etc.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

(on a side note, it wouldn't let me upload an image - why?)

2012-04-22_13-38-32_495.jpg

ok, well I figure it's the NP140 - as it's one of 2 models they make.

So any tips/tricks?

Both the NPS40 and 45 look similar. The 40 has a dial controller and the 45 has a digital board. Member save$ has the NPS40. Shoot him a PM. I'm sure he'll share the secrets he has on it.

I give you the first obvious tip, make certain it is completely cleaned this includes the venting and termination. Then check the gaskets and replace if needed.

I give you the first obvious tip, make certain it is completely cleaned this includes the venting and termination. Then check the gaskets and replace if needed.

Yeah, it definitely needs a thorough cleaning. I don't believe it's been lit for at least a year and it was left with ash in it.

I started it up just to ensure that it would and will be breaking it down for a major cleaning.

I have the NPS45 (free standing), yours look like an insert but pretty much the same thing. Jay gave you the main difference between the 40 and 45, pretty much.

The Napoleon is not one of the most expensive units out there, it is not multi-fuel and doesn't have the pot agitator, BUT it has been a great unit for me so far.
It seems like this unit likes the hardwood pellets more than the softwood. In the winter I let it run for 3 or 4 days straight and then quickly turn it off for 5 minutes to clean the pot and the area around it quickly, including the glass.

Since you're in Maine, try Maine Wood pellets (MWP), the brand seems to burn good in this unit.....ask member save$...==c

I tried that MWP and they seemed pretty good, not as much heat as I'd like to but very decent overall.

Good to know about using Hardwood instead of softwood (as for my stove, I prefer softwoods) - good tip.

Also, what the %&^@ is up with the tiny opening to put pellets in? It's like a 3" wide opening and the thing only holds half a bag.

A few questions:

Does this thing have any sensors, or is it a straight operation mode - feed rate/blower rate/etc.

Also, it has a pull lever on the right side that seems to be a flue/air intake mechanism - but I don't see anything about it in the manual. What's the best position for this during normal operation?

thanks!

it sounds like your is the NPI40 because the 45 doesn't have that lever.
My hopper is much wider 'cause it is a free standing.

As for the softies vs. hardwoods i'd try both to see what you like. I tried the softies Potomac and they created clinker no matter what, so maybe another softy will perform better, try the MWP softie and see how they burn for a day or two......try before this cool weather goes by next week..!!

It may be an insert (like geek said), thats also the reason for the small hopper opening.

As others stated, get ot clean, replace all necessary gaskets, and lube any motors with proper oil.

That is the insert unit with the optional nickle plated door trim. It has limited capacity for pellets, just under a bag, and no ash drawer.
Somethings for you to read:
This one has good heating tips regardless of which unit you have:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnLOu3-LF-c

another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S1OFfVfr1c

and most important, the current stove manual: http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Tech/installation_manuals/NPS40_NPI40.pdf

go to this site if your stove is different: http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Tech/installation_manuals/current-installation-manuals.html

My brother and my daughter have these stoves. We all bought them in 2008, all are still in use. None of us has had to do anything beyond maintenance. Should you have an issue, post it here. There are several who might jump in and help you. Member smwillimson posted this which I encourage you to review:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/napoleon-nps40-ignition-switch-fix.69378/

Yes, I burn MWP. So far, they burn the best for ME. Your experience may differ. What I like is first, the price, what’s not to like about a local product that you can get at a good price? The heat, good heat, as good as any I have burned. (but then I am cheap and won’t buy the $300 stuff) And most arguable, they burn CLEAN, no clinkers.

While you can get them most anywhere in the fall, I recommend SIB in Jay Maine. He will drive almost anywhere in the state to deliver them with only $10 per ton more than if you pick them up. But remember the golden rule around here. Try a few bags before you buy a few tons. If you are one of “those” who don’t like them, you really won’t like them and will be angry every time they are mentioned.

I run the stove on Auger speed of 4.5 to 5 most of the time. The damper pulled all the way out. (doesn’t seem to make any difference after 3). Room blower on 3. Outside air for combustion, yes. Hope you are able to get it clean. I use the leaf blower method with every ton. (See You Tube) and vac the stove out every 3ed day. More often if burning other brands. Yes I keep trying others, but I keep coming back to MWP.

Good luck

Reactions: geek
Thanks for the tips. I haven't tried MWP in my own stove, as I burn Canadian softwoods, mostly, but I will buy some to test in this stove. My father likes things cheap, and likely won't notice the difference between pellets. So MWPs are probably a good buy for him, especially if they do burn decent.

Ok - I need some help!!!

I've run the stove for two 24 hour periods, and having the same results. I get it going at my parents, I leave, and come back the next evening and the firebox is full of unburnt smoldering pellets.

First time I ran it at a feed rate of 4 - next day I dropped it to the lowest side of "optimum" at around 2.75.

What gives?

Lazy burn? I could really use some insight - thanks!

what about the air, try increasing air to the burn pot

Tried that too. I first tried the air intake full open, and then tried to set it (as recommended by the lazy burn sticky post). Same results. I also tried the dollar bill test around the door to check the seals...

You said earlier in this thread that this stove needs a good cleaning. One of the links I sent shows how to clean the blowers. Then there are those plates in both corners you can remove and clean behind. Then the leaf blower to help clean the exhaust pipe. That big lazy fire is usually 1. Draft. 2 pellets. 3 cleaning needed. I have experienced all three with my stove.
I know the exhaust on an insert can be a special challenge. Does the venting go to the top of the chimney? If you can't climb, you might get at an access t in the rear of the stove, then go in that with a lint eater. You can get extensions and go up a long ways. Until the cleaning is completed, any pellet you try to burn is going to give very similar unsatisfactory results.

Reactions: jtakeman and geek
very good suggestions save$

Hello

Is the chimney on the side of the house? That is an outdoor chimney
or
Is the chimney going up thru the center of the house. That is an inside chimney.

When it comes to pellet stoves, inside chimneys work better because the chimneys are not as cold and there is better drafting.

Outside chimneys still work fine but may need cleaning more often because the cold temps make the pellet dust precipitate out and cling to the sides more.

Reactions: geek
You say you checked the door seals, how about the glass gasket?

Then the area around the air intake?

Is this unit drawing house air? If it is how is the seal around the vent and the chimney at the block off plate?

there's no burn pot gasket smokey

I will be honest but until watching the video that save$ posted I never knew about the little plates in both corners that you can remove and clean located in the fire compartment (I think they're called "exhaust port door" ?)

I just did some cleaning to my unit and man there was a lot of ash accumulated in there..!!:eek:

Thanks save$...;)

For the OP, check the video at 8:25 minutes, make sure you clean behind there...!!

Here's the video again:

save$ is there a burn pot gasket in those units?
none in these units.
that big lazy fire is a clasic symptom of a stove needing cleaning. Other times when I got that big fire and unburned pellets is when the burn bot has a bing clinker in it obstrucing the the air flow. Another is when I didn't latch the ash drawer, but that unit does not have an ash drawer. Lacking an air leak, it goes back to impaired air flow through the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.