Help identify wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zumsel

Apr 9, 2014
Nova Scotia
Hello all,
I am just looking at a house for sale which is heated with a wood insert. Problem is I am currently 1000 miles away working and the realtor doesn't have any info. Can you identify this insert? Would love to know if it is really good for +2000 sqft.

9.jpg

I am really racking my brain. I have seen that door shape before - and it is unique to this brand.

I know it was not a really big brand.....but still, it was also not a total unknown. For starters, I am going to guess Jaccuzzi - yes, they made some stoves and inserts for a short time. But I only have about a 30% certainty with that guess.

I think I am getting close. It also could be Haughs, which was a Canadian-made stove....various labels could be on theirs. I think Century (VC) even may have bought them or their designs.

Just thinking out loud here in case any other members can go from there.

Last edited:
Thank you guys. Reason for my question is that this insert is the main heating source for the house. Additional there is a propane fire place in the kitchen and electric baseboard heaters. So I am really wondering how good this thing is. The current owner informed me about his power bill and propane consumption from last year, but did only burn for $400 fire wood. And that doesn't make sense to me. I know the house, also old, built already in 1840, is very well insulated. It was completed gutted and rebuilt with double 2x6 exterior walls and R 32 insulation and R40 in the roof.

Do you know if this insert has a blower and any idea were to find parts and a manual

Just from looking at the picture, the insert seems to have a blower. On the other hand, it does not look that big, so for heating 2000 sqft. the house would need to be really well insulated. $400 for firewood does not tell you much without knowing the going price for cords in the area and whether the previous owner purchased all his firewood or cut some himself. If you can I would ask how many cords and which wood species he burned per winter. Also ask if the insert has a liner in the chimney. I think in Canada that's required now but this one may have been put in without and was potentially never updated. If you are really serious about buying that house, I would make part of the home-inspection process to have a licensed sweep clean the flue and take a look at the insert.

P.S. Will you have the time to run a woodstove 24/7 for heating? If you are away often, your electricity bill may go through the roof.

P.P.S. It certainly is an older model. Instead of putting more money into it, I would consider buying a new one.

Grisu thank you very much. A SS chimney liner was put in last year. And yeah, I am away quite often. Working on a merchant ship on a two month on, one month off rotation. But looking at the power bill for last year, $1,550 in total, it is not so bad. Propane was an additional $1,810. But the owner is a professional chef and did a lot of catering on her propane stove as well. No idea what I would have to subtract so.

Could that propane fireplace run without you being around? Because if not your only heating source for several months during the winter will be the electric baseboards. That power bill may look much worse in your case. Sorry to say, but your schedule is not really optimal for woodheat. I would think of putting a real propane heater in there to keep the pipes from freezing before doing anything with the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.