Help identifying and information on wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenfeed

Jun 4, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
We were offered a wood burning furnace from friends who removed it from their house. I know it is a Riteway, but I don't know much (read: anything) about wood furnaces. It is approximately 20 years old and was the sole source of heat for a large rancher.

Is it a boiler? It is obviously attached to the ductwork, so does that mean it is forced-air heating like most furnaces? Are these things worth the hassle of moving it (it would be free). We are looking for an alternative source of heating since our oil prices are absolutely insane right now.

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Attachments

• DSC00285.JPG
    DSC00285.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSC00287.JPG
    DSC00287.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,092
It's definitely a warm air furnace. Can you post a close up of the label over the door or can you find any manufacturer info on it?

I know it's a Riteway. I don't currently have access to it. It is in storage so I can't find any additional info on it, and I tried to zoom in on the picture, but it is just not clear enough to distinguish the model. I can't seem to find any info on Riteway. I'm guessing it's out of business?

one problem with older hot air wood furnace's is that the heat exchanger may be well past it's lifetime. They tend to warp and buckle if over heated and could possibly have some holes or cracks in it. It should be thoroughly inspected with a trained eye. They are easy to fix or replace if available.
Mike

Sorry cf, I glossed over the name on first read. I would pass on it. It's old and the company isn't around any more. Best to state what your objective is and how the house is setup, options you are considering and take it from there.

Here's a little background info on Riteway:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Riteway

Status
Not open for further replies.