Help identifying this old 1894 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debrag

Mar 13, 2016
S. Jersey
This stove has never been used in the current house it's in. It's been a decoration piece for well over 60 years at my in-laws house. Googling brings up absolutely nothing about this stove. We intend to keep it, if we can move it...it's extremely heavy...because it is just so cool... but wondered if anyone could tell us anything about it?

G.L Flick in Philadelphia or anything G.L Flick is non existent online. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2887.JPG IMG_2888.JPG IMG_2886.JPG

Do you plan to use it? Or just keep it as a decoration piece and want more info about it?

Great looking stove.

Hi Pen

At this point in time we just want to keep it stored until we move to a place we could use it...thinking a man cave garage type heating thing in future or just decorative if it turns out to be unusable. If we live that long to retire that is lolol. Unfortunately we are cleaning out an "estate" and we just don't want to part with this. If we were to decide to get rid of it we don't even know what value, if any it has.

This is even better... https://archive.org/stream/historicalcommer00newy/historicalcommer00newy_djvu.txt
just put "flick" in the find box...

Flick, Geo. L., Manfr. Steamship Ranges, etc 1S3

page 183
jjEORGEL. FLICK. Manufacturer of Steamship Ranges, Galley and Cabin Stoves, Etc., No. 141 North Front Street.- !-n\ odd
years of uninterrupted prosperity marks the business career of George L. Flick, manufacturer of steamship ranges, galley
and cabin stoves, etc.. No. 141 North Front Street. He is one of the oldest and foremost in his line in the United States, and
has a large patronage. He turns out a superior class of work, including side lights, anchor lights, ventilators, deck irons,
deck plates and kindred articles, also tin, copper, iron and brass ware of every description for vessel use. Floors are laid
with tile, brick, iron or zinc, at short notice, likewise, and satisfaction is assured in every instance. Mr. Fliek is manufac-
turer of the celebrated " Keystone " caboose, u hich is conceded to be in all respects the most excellent article of the kind produced in the
country, ami which is steadily growing in favor, owing to its exceptional merit. The quarters occupied as shop. etc.. are commodious and
well equipped, and several competent workmen are employed. A first-class si nek is constantly kept mi hand, out tits for new vessels being a
specialty . and all orders for anything in the line above indicated will receive prompt and personal attention, while the prices charged here
arc of the most reasonable character. Mr. Flick, who is a gentleman somewhat past the meridian of life, but active and energetic, is a man
of thorough practical skill as a general metal worker, being an expert in the fitting out of galleys and cabins, and is master of his art in all
its branches

PS The errors are due to computer automated transcription...

My sympathies on your loss... I am sure it would be appreciated that you are planning to keep something that they thought worth the effort to keep. You never know what you will find. I have a hand carved bone necklace that the great-grandparents got in South Africa after the Boer War (Gramps was a carpenter working there during the restoration). When I found it in my Great-Aunts jewelry, I knew nothing of its history and only a few stories of theirs. The only way I confirmed it was a family photo, that my cousin had, from about 1904 where Grams is wearing it!

Last edited:
Lakegirl, Again...most excellent work! I feel lazy that I didn't find anything and I have been searching! That is most interesting regarding George Flick.
You know....we never thought to ask those little questions...like where this came from. I know my husband did years ago....but
he doesn't remember what his mom told him and now it's too late to ask. Thanks for your sympathies....having to go thru a house with over 60 years worth of things in it is so hard. We can't keep it all...but we certainly want to keep the important things. I'm off to google George Flick, manufacturing of steamship ranges galleys and stoves now...LOL.

Edited to add....that is such a NEAT story about your hand carved bone necklace!

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.