help identifying this species

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
hey folks - I moved to a new farm this past May and there was approx 2 cords cut (but not split) wood out back, appears to have been forgotten. it's older stuff, i'm thinking 4-6 years. The trees on the property here are primarily black walnut and hackberry with an occassional oak or locust, lots of ash. Started splitting today, and wondering waht some of this stuff is. On this one, the bark doesn't look like any of the standing trees i have here though...wood is stringier than the oak i am familiar with, but not bad. I know some of you gurus will know immediately , let me know whatcha think this stuff is....Thanks!

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 163
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 158
Could be red oak from the color and the bark.

yep i thought bark looked like oak too. But there's no flaking/flecks in it like my normal oak, and not quite as dense. but at 4+ years old, it is a lot lighter than normal so i can't "feel" it like i normally would..

Could look like pin oak but not with that bark.

Red elm, is my guess.

Red elm, is my guess.

Hard to tell but the grain and color look very, very close to some 3+ year old red elm in my stacks. Bark is close also. Color is very hard to tell by pictures sometimes but if the color in the pictures is very close to true it is pretty much is a dead match for my seasoned red elm.

Reactions: bostock
Status
Not open for further replies.