help identifying wood part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Here are some more pictures. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• wood 1.jpg
    wood 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 656
  • wood2.jpg
    wood2.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 676
Bark looks kind of rough for silver maple, but I'm not sure. Is it kind of stringy when it splits? Kind of looks like it from the view of the cut tree. The dark center kind of reminds me of ash but the looks of the tree don't.

yes it was kind of stringy when it split. Poplar is a pretty soft wood isnt it? Silver maple, what attributes does it have?

It actually does look a lot like some type of oak, but it should be heavier than hell if it is, and I think it was said it felt quite light.

The trees looks to be box elder and so does the wood, it is a scrub maple type of wood . Burns like paper when dry.

I also think it looks like mature red maple logs which can be stringy to split when partially dry. The heartwood should have reddish streaks in it. The only thing that baffles me is red maple is towards the higher end in weight though.

Looks very much like like what we in in central Ontario call swamp basswood.. Grows in low-lying- water areas or along the side of old river beds.

Almost useless as firewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.