Help! Im new to wood burning and dont know if Im doing it right

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New owner of a Jotul Rockland C550 insert. I have a center hall colonial that is about 1800 sq ft. Insert in the LR. LR has two entrances that face center hall. One entrance faces the Kitchen, the other the DR. DR has the house thermostat. After burning for several hours this evening the thermostat only went from 55 degrees to 60 degrees. Im confused. Ive been reading so many people have their houses at 70+. I also slide the air control back about half way after the fire really gets going. Am I doing something wrong? I would appreciate any advice.

Do you have a thermometer? Its the speedometer of wood burning. Also where did you get your wood? I bet its a little harder in the city ares then out here in the sticks to come across.

I dont have a thermometer, but since its an Insert, where would I put the thermometer anyway. As far as the wood goes, there are place to get the wood. I found a place last spring. I went there and saw the wood wasnt really too dry, but when I went back a couple of months later, I really saw a difference in the color of the wood.
I had 2 cords delivered at the beginning of July and it was out there this whole 90+ summer. You can see a lot of the splits are that silvery color.

You can sneak one in one the top right side above the firebox. Once its there you will know if the unit is coming up to temp. My guess from what you are telling me it isnt doing that right now. Have you ever seen fire coming out of the tubes on the top of the fire box? If you havent maybe try running it open a little longer then you are now. How tall is your chimney? And did they reline it for the install? Are you aware if they installed a block off plate ate the time of install?

I'm one of those jerks currently sitting in their livingroom sweating while the upstairs gets toasty. ;)

Stupid questions - Is the blower on? Secondly are you giving it enough time? When I say I'm cooking down here, the stove has been running since about 3pm when the temp dropped below 50F and my wife lit it off. Third - pack it with wood. It's supposed to be FILLED with wood. You'll think you're doing something really stupid, but once it really gets hot (probably 500F is a good place to shoot for stove top), engage the cat if it has one and in either case, turn the air all the way down. The fire will slow down but the inside of the stove should glow. Let it roll an hour or so and you'll know it's on.

Ive been looking for the fire coming out of the tubes, however, I think I saw it once. The chimney was relined and I dont know exactly how tall the chimney is, but its the existing chimney from the house fireplace.

Glad to hear it was fully relined. That is a great start! As far as seeing the fire come out of the tubes.....if you are not seeing that you need to get it hotter. When you turn the air control down you should see most of the fire on the top of the fire box. The stove top thermometer will help you get a feel for when it is time to turn it down and start really heating with it.

Well once the insert is up to temp you can all but shut it all the way down. I always recommend running them at just short of fully down. But until you get it up to temp leave it open. Do you have a hardware store near you? Most of the sell a stove top thermometer. You are looking for a temp of at least 400 before turning it down. The smoke will burn at around 1190 degrees inside the box. So 400+ on the outside should be good enough to get it going.

Status
Not open for further replies.