Help! I'm new!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schleich339

Nov 1, 2014
Ohio
we just purchased a home that had a Harman pc45 corn/pellet stove. When we first turn it on it smokes the room up but after 10 min or so it goes away. Secondly I heard somewhere that the combustion blower shouldn't run constantly, but ours does. And last, Is there a way to set up a wireless thermometer to it? The previous owners had a hideous cord stapled to the walls across 2 rooms for the thermometer. Help! I'm new to this! I've never owned one of these before!

For the some, use a flashlight in the dark on startup to det ct the leak. There should never be smoke in the room get a co detector now if u don't already. Comb blower always runs if there heat or flame. As for the thermostat try the manual as I'm unsure.

First. Don't panic. And congrats on your home purchase.

Second. Download the manual for your stove from home and hearth technologies and read it front to back to familiarize yourself with your stove in its operation and maintenance.

Third. For the smoke entering your house on startup, check the obvious things first such as the venting being properly attached to the stove with silicone and the door gasket sealing tight.

A good test to check the door seal is to take a $1 bill, and latch close it between the door and stove. If youre able to pull the bill out the gasket rope needs to be replaced. Go around the perimeter of the door with the bill to check the whole door seal.

Status
Not open for further replies.