HELP IN GETTING HEAT TO OTHER END OF THE HOUSE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antioil

Nov 2, 2008
Eastern Mass
This has been a helpful site and I've searched it for an answer and beyond floor fans I need advice. I have a Lennox Country Collection Canyon 310 and I'm enjoying it immensely. I have a liner and the chimney is blocked off at the top. As a family we are finding ourselves all sitting around the insert at night. For that alone it's been worth it. However I have the TV in a den at the other end of the house. The living room, dining room and kitchen are benefiting from the stove heat but not the den. Picture a hallway ( running 15') off the living room where the stove is located and two rooms right and left off the hallway at the other end. How can I get hot air to those two rooms at the other end of the hallway? If I've read the site correctly, if I open the den door ( door located at the other end of the house) a draft should be created and hot air should come into the room ...I can then close the door :) LOL. Seriously any advice is welcomed. Oh one other thing the hallway is warm and heat also goes up the stairs too where there are two bedrooms. same thing up stairs...two bedrooms off a hallway so much of the heat I'm trying to get to the den is going up stairs too...Hope this isn't too complicated or confusing ... thanks a bunch or should I say thanks a "cord"!

Turn the furnace on silly. The Lennox is just a space heater.

You may be able to move the heat with fans, but I doubt you would be happy with the amount of heat you are able to move.

Matt

EatenByLimestone has hit the nail on the head. Its a space heater and you will not get even heat. You can blow cool air to the warm air and try to help, if you find the perfect setup let me know! I run my furnace fan to bring cool air to the livingroom or it gets too warm...

I was skeptical of the "blow the cold air towards the stove" until I tried it. I have a similar setup, a 500 sqft great room with the stove and high ceiling with ceiling fan. Off the great room is a 15' hallway with a bedroom off one end and a bathroom the other end. Above that is an open loft to the great room which is roasting with a ceiling fan also. I turn on the furnace fan and I put a floor fan in the back of the bedroom blowing towards the open door to the hallway. The thermostat is right outside the bedroom in the hallway, and in a couple hours the temp had gone up 3 or 4 degrees after turning on the floor fan in the cold bedroom............................Paul

In addition to blowing the cooler air towards the warmer air, you might try the little fans that mount at the top of the doorway. This would allow even better circulation with the cooler air moving one way on the lower level and the little fans up top coaxing the warmer air towards the cooler room.

btw, our furthest room is much more than 15' from the stove and we have no problem heating it. Definitely it is cooler (but not a great deal) than the room with the stove, but it is a bedroom and cooler is better there.

Solution:

1. Scroll to Ash Can
2. Print posts from a sample of the loonies e.g. Craig, Hogsomething, BroB, Sophie, etc...
3. Hold printout in front of said stove
4. Hot air will migrate to all parts :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.