Help in pulling the trigger between Econoburn vs Eko!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalecells

Jul 23, 2008
New Jersey
Hi All,

I am trying to pull the trigger between the Eco vs EKO and i am looking for some advice. I am looking at a EBW-150 or the EKO 40. I am installing this parallel with an existing oil burner which will now hopfully become extinct.

I have looked at the differences online between these two until my eyes were ready to bleed and basically it looks like it all comes down to price. Now i have been around the block enough to know that you get what you pay for but i just don't see why i would spend the extra money for the Econoburn.

Can anyone provide me with any feedback on either?

Much appreciated....

THE OIL MAN MUST GO!

OK, I want to be clear that I am not out to "dis" the EKO- plenty of people around here on this group have them and I've not heard any ill reports.

I went with the Econoburn on grounds that I looked at one first hand and was very, very impressed with how well it was designed and constructed, and that the company is a branch of a very well-established company with a major presence in the USA-- so it seems that support, now and in the future, is likely to be readily available. Also liked the fact that all the parts - controller, relays, blower, etc., are non-proprietary and readily available industrial-type and grade parts. Also, while it wasn't a decisive factor, I like fact that Econoburn is made in the US (I like to support domestic manufacturing when possible).

I agree with the above post, until I saw both boilers at the same show, and spoke to the vendors. I- like yourself read, and researched boilers for a long time. Long before I found this site. I have installed Dunkirk gas and oil boilers, and like them alot, and as an extension like the company. I have nothing bad to say about them. As I stated above once I saw them side by side so to speak, and spoke to the salesmen, I bought an EKO- mine was delivered this past week, and will be hooked up shortly. These boilers are on display at fairs & expos. I drove to Syracuse ( 7 hrs round trip to see them both) I reccomend anyone on the fence email the suppliers and ask where they will be, and then go there. One of the questions I ask is " Why is your boiler better than ..."

Best Of luck Chris

i had the same problem, eko-60 or ecocnoburn 200. went with the eko for two reasons. 1- eko had a bigger firebox which gives a 8-12 hour burn vrs the econo which was 6-8 hours. 2- price, ekoline was $1600 less than the econoburn guy.

New member, great forum

I have been debating the same choice between the econoburn 200 and the eco 60. However, unless the econoburn price went up considerably since last week, I found them to be virtually the same, $9000. What quotes have others been getting?

I recently took delivery of an Econoburn 150, after several months of DD.
There wasn't a single overriding factor that tilted the decision one way or another.
The price spread was fairly tight between the two but they did have
a price increase this month. I did feel over time an econoburn would
have better support as a domestic produced unit.. I felt the performance
was close to equal between the two....
MM

My choice would be Econoburn for 3 reasons:

1: It's made in the US, no further explanation needed regarding what that means to our country right now.

2: The company has proven their willingness and ability to stand behind their product to me personally in an indisputable manner. They back up what they sell 100% when there is a manufacturing issue.

3: The company is currently working with ASME to achieve a true pressure vessel rating for their product.

Having been in the HVAC industry for some time, I know what goes into that rating and what it takes to attain it. ASME examines EVERY component of the product right down to a 3/4" nipple or drain valve. The quality of every component and build procedure is examined and it's a royal PITA for the manufacturer to go through. What that rating means to you as a buyer is that everything that goes into that boiler has been gone over with the proverbial fine toothed comb to assure consistent and reliable safety and build quality.

There is no question that Econoburn has more professional service. We have examined both companies, and the Ekko retailer had some teenager who answered the phone and who had very little clue about shipping costs, warranties, or who we should talk to at their site to get questions answered. We were directed to a local dealer, who was nice but somewhat confusing. The experience with Econoburn was just the opposite. The Econoburn distributor out of New York (his name is Fritz) has been incredibly helpful, and service oriented. He spent almost an hour with me on the phone. Also the Ekkos get imported and then there is some modification of them to get them to conform with U.S. standards. If you need parts or have problems, Econoburn manufactures in New York. That could be worth the few extra bucks you spend up front.

Also the Ekkos get imported and then there is some modification of them to get them to conform with U.S. standards.
What modification are you refering to? The only thing know of is the controls are changed from 220V to 110V.

If it is a tossup and there are no feature differences that matter, I agree with those above to buy American. Econoburn from what I have read is a well made well supported product with parts that are domestic. In the long run I think that goes a long way. However, both brands of gasifiers are great and would probably work well for you.

in regard to "What modification are you refering to? The only thing know of is the controls are changed from 220V to 110V."?

Some or much of Europe's power system is 50 Hz rather than 60Hz frequency alternating current, so there may need to be a little bit of adaptation for that (many AC motors such as for a gasifier's blower will run about 20% higher RPMS on 60 than 50). Many circuits can be readily converted from 50 to 60, although the reverse (60 to 50) can't be assumed to work as well. So the EKOs may take a bit of re- calibration for the frequency change too, although it seems like it's something that wouldn't be a big deal if it is designed and implemented well (and the happy EKO owners around these parts would seem to confirm that it is).

Even though I opted for the Econoburn, and am very comfortable with my choice, I think it's great that the EKOs are being brought in and adapted for US use. About 6 years ago I made a relatively serious attempt to bring in one of the Scandanavian pellet burner heads (the ones that will replace an oil burner) and the manufacturers were too fidgety about ability to have them work in the US's power system. Introducing new products will create more likelihood of improvement and innovation.

I was torn between the EKO and the EconoBurn for quite a while. I did not go with either. I bought a Seton instead.

1. For my application and experience level the Seton seems like a simpler design (less parts to brake, takes un-split logs)
2. It too is a gasifier.
3. Storage not really necessary to be efficient (refractory holds the heat).
4. 20 year warranty on the refractory fire box.
5. Very knowledgeable Sales people. -I felt as if the EconoBurn salesman was trying to sell me an over sized unit (= inefficiency).
6. Made in the USA.

Mine is ordered and should be here in about 4-6 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.