Help Install! First Time wood Stove!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadbiker255

Nov 25, 2014
Savannah ga
I recently bought a house with a hearth in the living room that appears to be set up/ built for a wood stove. I found one on craigslist that seemed to be a good deal but need some advice/ assistance making sure I set it up correctly. Unfortunately i cannot find anyone down here to come out and take a look at it to make sure I am doing it correctly so I do not burn my house down so I'm turning to you experts. The pictures shows the stove I have and how the hearth is situated. Here is my plan but please critique: I am going to buy a 6" oval to 6" round adapter to a double walled 6" stove pipe to a 90 elbow, Then was going to use a 6" chimney pipe from the horizontal 90 through an insulated wall thimble and out of my house. Now first off, I know nothing about this stuff so I do not even know if the class a chimney pipe will attach to a 90 degree stove pipe elbow or if the class a pipe just goes through the thimble and out or if it attaches to one side then something else attaches to the outside. I was going to use the selkirk sure temp through wall thimble with the sure temp 6" chimney pipe (supposedly those dimensions match up for the two products and will not have any gaps). But as you can see, whoever had one here before had already built some type of through wall system which leads to my next questions. Based on the pictures, does whats in the house currently look proper and safe (to avoid me from having to rip it out and put in this thimble) I would much rather just use what is there but I don't know enough about this to decide if this is a proper way or not. There are pics of the inside of it and outside of it. And if you do think that what is currently there is fine, what type of pipe would you run through it? It has a circumference of 19 inches and measures 6.25" across in diameter. My next question is about the outside of the house. I know most diagrams shows it running up along the bricks and through the soffit area; but that would require substantial work for my outside. Would it be sufficient to run the horizontal pipe (that is coming through the thimble) far enough away from the house and then put a 90 elbow and cap on it so I do not have to do major construction to my roof? It would be at least 18 inches away before I capped it. I greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks! 20141126_074036.jpg 20141126_074046.jpg 20141126_074143.jpg 20141126_074152.jpg

Does that stove have an UL tag on it with listed clearances or do you have any manual for it? If not, it is considered an unlisted stove and needs to be installed with a 36" clearance to combustibles to all sides. The brick in the back reduces the clearance by 1/3 but it still seems short and it also needs to be higher up the wall. You also need at least 16" hearth depth in the front measured from the door. Before thinking about the chimney install I would make sure that stove can be installed in that spot safely. You may need to buy a different one which potentially will change your chimney requirements.

Last edited:
And the more I've researched setting this stove up the more I've wondered if I need a different one. I'm up for that idea as well because what I out there is staying and I want it to be the best pick for that hearth. Thanks for the input and I will measure it when I get home. It is defiantly tall and probably does not have the 16 inch clearance in the front. And defiantly no numbers or models of the stove to find more info. Thanks!

I think you may find that the hearth will be difficult to deal with no matter what stove you select. It appears to be quite narrow.

And the more I've researched setting this stove up the more I've wondered if I need a different one.

Yeah - you have an antique on your hands. A modern EPA rated stove will be your friend and reduce the clearance to combustibles.

That is a great looking old time wood stove. I hope it works well.
So, not too many wood stove experts in Savannah. I am not surprised, I lived there for one spring and summer. I think more air conditioners than wood stoves are sold there.

You can run the horizontal pipe to clear the roof outside, I did the same thing on a house I built in Baldwin County Georgia, I ran that horizontal pipe 40 inches to clear the roof and the stove worked fine.
You can extend the hearth. Also, you can protect the back wall with a metal heat shield. You can definitely make a wood stove work in that spot.

I can't tell if the existing through the wall assembly is safe to use or not. It is several years//decades old. The masonry might have cracked.
The wall pass through is the most critical part of your pipe because you can't see it. This is the number one place for a fire to start.
I don't know if your existing assembly is safe or not, but to knock that old one out, and to install a new one, would not be a big deal.
Good luck!

You can definitely make a wood stove work in that spot.

Agreed, but without a UL listing NFPA211 clearances are gonna need to be followed and they are somewhat "painful".
Next questions would be:
Does your insurance allow for the install of an unlisted stove?
Does your county (or prevailing authority) allow for an unlisted stove?

Regs on wood stoves are not as strict down here in Dixie, as up in Yankeeland.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are no regs on wood stoves in Savannah.
For one thing, I would be surprised if there are more than 10 wood stoves in Savannah.

As I said above I installed a wood stove in my house in central Georgia 25 years ago, the county did not inspect it and the insurance company didn't say a thing.
Seventeen years ago I installed a wood stove in my house in the NC mountains, not a peep out of the county or the insurance company.

Now, I am not saying that that is the right stove for the job. I don't know what the hell it is, but it looks cool. Obviously it is an old stove, might be a piece of crap that doesn't work well and ought not to be used, I don't know.
Obviously he would get better efficiency with a new stove, the stove would be safe to use and would get more BTUs from a cord of wood.

Welcome to the forum. That stove looks like it could be a coal stove to me. In the close up photo of the clay thimble it appears that there is a crack running along the top along its entire length. If so, I doubt you can safely use it in that condition. As others have said, you can most likely install a stove in that location, but my guess is you're going to be looking at a lot more money than picking up a cheap Craig's List stove like the one you purchased. The outdoor portion of the chimney is going to be expensive regardless of what stove you end up installing. Read up on chimney requirements. When you come up an outside wall like you'll be working with you have to extend the chimney fairly high to get proper clearance. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.